I led another NYC Audubon/ NY Water Taxi Eco-Cruise yesterday (Sunday), the 
last one until the Harbor Heron cruises begin in June.
The primary draw on these tours (which I'm happy to report have been sold out 
all Winter) are Harbor Seals that congregate around and on Swinburne Island, 
near the Verrazano Narrows.
I was nervous that we wouldn't spot any seals as it's getting pretty late in 
the season for them, but happily we did have a couple bobbing in the water and 
peeking at the boat.
We also had a number of nice birds, the highlight of which for me were numerous 
adult Northern Gannets, some as far up the harbor as the Verrazano Bridge, 
which were plunge-diving, presumably for herring or shad.
We also had two or three Red-throated Loons and several of the usual harbor 
duck species, and Purple Sandpipers on the rocks near Erie Basin.
Notably absent were Great Cormorants, which I've seen no less than a half-dozen 
of on all previous tours this winter; I have to assume they're already 
retreating northward.
Here's the list (thanks to Joseph O'Sullivan for compiling):
Brant
Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Black Duck x Mallard (hybrid)Mallard
Greater Scaup
Bufflehead
Red-breasted Merganser
Red-throated Loon
Northern Gannet
Double-crested Cormorant
Peregrine Falcon
Purple Sandpiper
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
crow sp.
Good Birding,
Gabriel WillowNYC Audubon
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to