On Saturday, 4/21, I came upon (read, almost hit) 2 Turkey Vultures, while
they feasted on a flattened Opossum, on Manor Rd., between Rt. 25 & Middle Rd.,
Calverton - this being only the 2nd time I've ever seen this species feeding on
the ground on L.I. This general area (mostly agricultural) has been a good
source of T.V. sightings for at least the past 5-6 years, and as recent as 4/1
, when Tom Moran and I had a single "flyover".
The near collision can probably be referred as such, because my 13 year old
grandson (Brian Connors) reacted before I did, to a "dark object", which was on
the shoulder of the road ~ 100 yards ahead. At first, and right up to the time
we almost past "it", I thought it was a black trash bag, that had either fallen
off a truck, or had been placed there by a "good-citizen group" engaged in a
road clean-up project, who would be picking it up later in the day. I guess I
was doing ~ 50 mph, ~ 30-40' from the "bag",and a bit closer to the shoulder
than I should have been, when Brian yelled "watch out for the birds"! It was
only then did I see 2 red heads attached to the "black bag", and although the
birds hopped around some, they didn't take off. Bringing the car to a stop, I
did a "uie" and started to drive back slowly for a "photo- op", when another
passing car caused them to lift off, circle for awhile and then fly to the
east. We waited for ~ 5 minutes,' but they didn't return, even though there was
more carrion to eat.
Cheers, Bob
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--