As many of us had earnestly hoped, rumors of an early end to the spring 2012 
landbird migration were premature.

On my way to Staten Island this morning, I drove along the barrier beach (not 
generally a popular place to watch spring landbird migration), where I expended 
almost zero effort looking for landbirds. Even so, I observed a Bank Swallow 
and two Northern Rough-winged Swallows at Robert Moses SP, a Ruby-throated 
Hummingbird and a Magnolia Warbler at Captree SP, and the following at Jones 
Beach West End (most of these from the car as I drove through):

1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
About a dozen probable migrant Gray Catbirds (difficult to distinguish from 
locals, but at least some newly arrived migrants clearly present)
1 Nashville Warbler
4 migrant Yellow Warblers, including at least one apparent amnicola (northerly 
breeding subspecies) closely studied
1 Magnolia Warbler
4 Blackpoll Warblers
2 American Redstarts
at least 6 obvious migrant Common Yellowthroats (bouncing westward among 
isolated small clumps of veg)

I am certain that with even a little bit of dedicated effort, the thickets 
would have been very productive.

A one-hour seawatch at Robert Moses yielded 43 Sooty Shearwaters and 31 Black 
Scoters.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore

________________________________

Change is in the Air - Smoking in Designated Areas Only in 
effect.<http://www.csi.cuny.edu/tobaccofree>
Tobacco-Free Campus as of July 1, 2012.

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to