Because of prior commitments today & tomorrow, I only had a 2 hour window of
opportunity today, to try for the Kentucky Warbler, which Richard Kaskan found
on 6/14 at the Rocky Point D.E.C Property. Arriving at ~ 0630, I was greeted by
Richaed, who was on his way out to head for the Curlew Sandpiper. He then
reversed his tracks and brought me to where he had just heard the bird, to make
sure I at least heard it too- thank you Richard ! For the next ~ 2 hours, it
sang constantly, twice at distances which seemed less than 15' away...but I
never saw it ...not even a fleeting glance, or as an old birder friend was
prone to say "not even a snatch of the bird". To compound the frustration, as I
sat down to write this post, I noticed Kathryn Klecan's post re: finding the
bird 2 X today - the 1st X at 0830, when she both saw & heard the KEWA...I
believe I left the parking lot at ~ 0820 Nice going Kathy ! We both met a # of
years ago when she had a C.Redpoll at her feeder in Middle Island,
Back on "campus" (Saddle Lakes Condo's, Riverhead) I participated in the weekly
0900 Horseshoe Tournament, where "us seniors" have a lot of fun! As with the
KEWA, there was good news and bad. Partner Buddy Falcone (84 years young) and I
won our 1st 2 matches (21-20 and 21-18) but in the "Championship Game" got
trounced by a score of 21 to 8
Happy Father's Day, Bob
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--