I thought I was done with this for the year, especially after this thrilling
August. But the quest to photograph a juvenile plumage Long-billed Dowitcher
changed my mind (not that any had been reported, but it should be possible
at this time). One Long-billed did pop in, albeit a basic plumage bird (with
3 juvenile Short-bills). So maybe not the picture I was looking for, but I
did capture a Kevin Karlson type picture of a Short-billed directly in front
of the Long-billed and leaving lots of Long-billed to be seen. Also joining
in the flock were a Pectoral Sandpiper and 2 Stilt Sandpipers, and up to 12
Lesser Yellowlegs (that's more than I saw in all of August combined) . A
White-rumped Sandpiper was also around. 10 species in all just at the south
end of the East Pond (which had been so unproductive at times this year), so
not bad for this time of the season. It is late September (and Rod Stewart
really should be back in school). 

White Pelican still around.


Steve Walter
Bayside, NY


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to