Another perspective is that they're actually stopping off in places. It
seems to me that the morning flights are the only times that I see Siskins
(most years). When the flights die off, there seem to be none left along the
barrier beach. I can't think of many occasions that I've seen migrants
between flights anywhere. Things seem different at this time. There were a
few at Kissena Corridor (Queens) over the weekend (and previously). With the
limited time I have today, I went to the meadow I cited a couple of weeks
ago (Alley Pond Park, across the street from the east end of Oakland Lake)
and found a few dozen Siskins a little while ago. They appear to be feeding
on goldenrods (not Seaside, but a species that is just past flowering). I'll
even call it a feeding frenzy. At one point, I found myself within 20 feet
of a group that didn't seem to mind me. One individual flew about a foot
right over my head and landed five feet in front of me. I might post siskin
pictures later - if I'm not focused on cardinals or orioles (or Yankees or
Tigers, etc.).

 

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY    

 

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Shaibal Mitra
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:42 AM
To: NYSBIRDS ([email protected])
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Very Heavy Pine Siskin Flight Long Island

 

In just one hour this morning (7:15-8:15) I counted 1,840 Pine Siskins
passing the Fire Island Hawkwatch, Suffolk County. The overall rate of
passage was the greatest I've seen so far this season and at least
comparable to the biggest flights I've ever seen on Long Island. The average
flock size was also larger than on the best days last weekend (the above
total was distributed among 48 flocks).

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore

 

  _____  


 
<http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/septemberoctober_2012/features/am
ericas_bestbangforthebuck_co039461.php> Washington Monthly magazine ranks
the College of Staten Island as one of "America's Best-Bang-for-the-Buck
Colleges" 

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME> Welcome and Basics 

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES> Rules and Information 

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

Archives:

The Mail Archive
<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html> 

 <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L> Surfbirds

BirdingOnThe.Net <http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html> 

Please submit your observations to  <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/> eBird!

--


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to