Today I led an NYC Audubon tour around Randalls/Wards Island as Alan mentioned.
I always enjoy leading walks out to this under-birded area, with its recently 
restored fresh-and-salt- wetlands, lawns, woods, and lovely views.  Today 
didn't disappoint.
The bright cold day with NW winds brought in a ton of late-season migrants, 
including huge numbers of Kinglets (both species), Palm Warblers, and various 
Sparrows.  Many previously abundant migrants (I'm looking at you Catbirds) seem 
to have moved on.  We had a total of 47 species in about 3.5 hours hours of 
birding.
We birded along the bicycle path on the West side of the island from the foot 
bridge north-east to the fresh-water marsh area by the sewage treatment plant.
We were immediately treated to sightings of both Ruby-crowned and 
Golden-crowned Kinglets (which we quickly realized were in just about every 
tree and shrub).  The mixed flocks contained both Nuthatch species, Brown 
Creeper (we saw at least 4!), Tufted Titmice and Black-capped Chickadees, and 
numerous Yellow-rumped Warblers.
I also spotted a very yellow-looking young Tennessee Warbler cavorting with the 
kinglets, as well as a single female Black-throated Blue Warbler (seems late) 
and a Blue-headed Vireo (ditto).
Hopping about in various grassy and marshy areas were several Savannah 
Sparrows, as well as a single White-crowned Sparrow, a couple of Swamp 
Sparrows, and lots of Song, White-throated, Chipping Sparrows, and Dark-eyed 
Juncos.
Other numerous migrants included Eastern Phoebe, Northern Flicker, and dozens 
of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers.
I was really hoping to come across some Saltmarsh or Nelson's Sparrows out 
there, so I'm glad Alan managed to turn some up!
Here's the whole list:
Double-crested Cormorant 1Black-crowned Night-Heron 1Mallard 11Red-tailed Hawk 
1Osprey 1Merlin 1Ring-billed Gull 8Herring Gull 4Great Black-backed Gull 
2Mourning Dove 3Rock Pigeon 4Belted Kingfisher 1Red-bellied Woodpecker 
6Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 14Downy Woodpecker 3Northern Flicker 8Eastern Phoebe 
7Blue-headed Vireo 1Blue Jay 8Tufted Titmouse 5Black-capped Chickadee 
2Red-breasted Nuthatch 1White-breasted Nuthatch 2Brown Creeper 4Golden-crowned 
Kinglet 20+Ruby-crowned Kinglet 40+Hermit Thrush 3American Robin 12Gray Catbird 
2Northern Mockingbird 2European Starling 7Tennessee Warbler 1Black-throated 
Blue Warbler 1Yellow-rumped Warbler 16Palm Warbler 22Common Yellowthroat 
2Eastern Towhee 2Chipping Sparrow 10Savannah Sparrow 7White-throated Sparrow 
15White-crowned Sparrow 1Song Sparrow 14Swamp Sparrow 3Dark-eyed Junco 
19Red-winged Blackbird 2American Goldfinch 5House Sparrow 8
Beautiful day... tomorrow I'm leading a walk at Wave Hill and Central Park, 
hopefully it will be as productive as today!
Fall's fun,
Gabriel WillowNYC Audubon


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to