Was at the 79th St Boat Basin from about 3:30 to 5:30pm today.  There was 
little rain when I arrived, and the cafe provided a safe high-ground haven well 
protected from the elements to scan the river - from chairs even.  Nothing much 
to report - although watching the birds battling up-river against the north 
wind reminded me of watching mimes pushing invisible walls.   Highlights were a 
flock of about 2 dozen brazen Brants gaining momentum and dipping in the water 
for short rests, a couple of Canadian Geese with less aerodynamic success, a 
couple of small flocks of Mallards doing no better than heading sideways, 
occasional Ring-billed gulls whipping around, one Black-backed gull, and a Coot 
seen since yesterday bobbing leisurely among boats which were violently lifting 
6 feet out of the water.  As the sky darkened, the wind and rain picked up and 
I was drenched by the time I got home.

Stay safe,

Alan Drogin
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to