Here is an update on the Common Pochard from Larry Master (& some
photographs).

 

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

 

 

From: Larry Master [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:30 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: FW: Common Pochard images

 

 

From: Larry Master [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:28 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]';
'[email protected]'; 'Chris Rimmer'; '[email protected]';
'[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; 'John Marshall'; 'Frank Gill'
Subject: RE: Common Pochard images

 

I was told this morning that the Pochard photo link didn't work.  Please try
this longer one:
https://plus.google.com/photos/112372647343297818289/albums/5829050524084151
633?authkey=CKT3w_rgm-iXCQ 

 

Larry

 

From: Larry Master [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 10:44 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]';
'[email protected]'; 'Chris Rimmer'; '[email protected]';
'[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; 'John Marshall'; 'Frank Gill'
Subject: Common Pochard images

 

Some grainy downloadable images (taken at 1456 mm equivalent and then
savagely cropped) of the Common Pochard taken under the Vermont side of the
Lake Champlain bridge this morning are posted at http://tinyurl.com/akn5bsz.
I also noted two male Tufted Ducks (an adult and a first winter bird), two
Barrow's Goldeneyes, a Glaucous Gull, White-winged Scoter, Gadwalls, and
hundreds of Greater and Lesser Scaup, Common Mergansers, Common Goldeneyes,
Mallards, Black Ducks, Redpolls, Bald Eagle, Great Black-backed, Herring,
and Ring-billed Gulls.

 

In other years we have noted Tufted Ducks on the New York side of the lake
(e.g., off Ausable Marsh in the spring) with an occasional "Redhead" mixed
in with hundreds of scaup, goldeneyes, etc., as today.  I know that I have
always glossed over the "Redheads" as just that and not given a thought to
the possibility of Common Pochard.  That will now change.

 

Given tonight's deep freeze (it's -19 F and dropping at our house as I write
this), I strongly suspect the water near the bridge will freeze up tonight
and the ducks will move off shore and/or up lake and not be as easily
viewable tomorrow.

 

Larry Master

Lake Placid, NY

[email protected]

www.masterimages.org <http://www.masterimages.org/> 

www.intervalelowlands.org

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to