This afternoon, I searched for (4) hours in Prospect Park, but
unfortunately did not relocate the Golden-winged Warbler nor the Lawrence's
Warbler. Although I missed these (2) rarities, there were was still a few
quality birds around, but this early in migration, you really had to work
for them!

Highlights include:

A mixed warbler flock at the wood-chip path near Quaker Cemetery (corner of
West/Center Dr):

2 Black-and-white Warblers
1 Chestnut-sided Warbler (Juvenile Type)
2 Blue-winged Warblers
2 American Redstarts
1 Canada Warbler

Birding the Lullwater, I came across another 2 American Redstarts - these
birds appeared very agitated. They were establishing a pecking order to
bathe in a rain filled plastic plate! The "birdbath" was occupied by a
bathing Worm-eating Warbler which was chased off by an ever bossier Gray
Catbird. The Redstarts finally got their turn after the Catbird left! The
location was near the Terrace Bridge, a few feet from the water, down the
path from where the feeders are placed in the winter. Other Lullwater
highlights include Wood Duck, Spotted Sandpiper, and Yellow Warbler.

Finally, I found an Ovenbird on the path that parallels Wellhouse Dr.

In total (20) warblers representing (8) species.

Full checklist:

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14912256

Cheers,
Ryan
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.bassbirding.com





On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Rob Jett <[email protected]> wrote:

> While birding in Prospect Park this morning, Peter Colen and I had an
> interesting experience.
>
> We had walked up Lookout Hill to the Butterfly Meadow where there seemed
> to be a bit of activity on and within the assorted sunflowers, buddleia and
> other wildflowers. In the weeds below an oak tree at the East end of the
> meadow I spotted a gnatcatcher chasing a mostly yellow bird. It turned out
> to be a "Lawrence's" Warbler. We walked over to get a closer look, then
> spotted a Blue-winged Warbler in the oak tree above. The "Lawrence's"
> Warbler was subsequently chased across the meadow by one of many
> goldfinches in that area. A moment later the first blue-winged was joined
> by a second. I decided to circle around to the opposite side of the small
> meadow to track down the Lawrence's. As we walked the footpath on the North
> side of this opening on top of Lookout Hill I noticed a small bird feeding
> down low and just behind the meadow's surrounding fence. I think I may have
> made an audible noise when I focused in on a Golden-winged Warbler! I
> haven't seen a golden-winged in Prospect Park in many years. My last
> Lawrence's Warbler here was probably 15 years ago and, ironically, in this
> same location. This is the only time in my 20+ years of birding that I've
> seen Blue-winged Warbler, Golden-winged Warbler and their bastard
> offspring, Lawrence, together. I'm glad that there was someone else present
> to share this rare family portrait.
>
> Good birding,
>
> Rob
>
> http://citybirder.blogspot.com
> @thecitybirder
>
> **********
>
> Prospect Park, Kings, US-NY
> Aug 12, 2013 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
> Protocol: Traveling
> 3.0 mile(s)
> Comments: Most time was spent around the Butterfly Meadow, but also birded
> in The Ravine.
> 36 species (+1 other taxa)
>
> Mallard  X
> Red-tailed Hawk  1
> Rock Pigeon  X
> Mourning Dove  X
> Chimney Swift  X
> Red-bellied Woodpecker  X
> Northern Flicker  X
> Eastern Phoebe  1
> Great Crested Flycatcher  1
> Eastern Kingbird  X
> Warbling Vireo  1
> Red-eyed Vireo  1
> Blue Jay  X
> Barn Swallow  6
> Black-capped Chickadee  1
> Carolina Wren  X
> Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
> American Robin  X
> Gray Catbird  X
> Northern Mockingbird  1
> European Starling  X
> Cedar Waxwing  X
>
> Ovenbird  1     In understory behind the Upper Pool.
> Northern Waterthrush  1
> Blue-winged Warbler  3     2 at Butterfly Meadow, 1 in Ravine behind Upper
> Pool.
> Golden-winged Warbler  1     Foraging among dense weeds and wildflowers at
> Buttefly Meadow.
> Lawrence's Warbler (hybrid)  1     Feeding at Butterfly Meadow,
> associating with mixed flock consisting of 2 BWWA, 1 GWWA, 1 BAWW, 2 INBU
> and several BAOR.
> Black-and-white Warbler  5
> American Redstart  4
> Yellow Warbler  1
>
> Northern Cardinal  X
> Indigo Bunting  2     Butterfly Meadow.
> Red-winged Blackbird  X
> Common Grackle  X
> Baltimore Oriole  6
> American Goldfinch  X
> House Sparrow  X
>
> --
> *NYSbirds-L List Info:*
> Welcome and Basics <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME>
> Rules and Information <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES>
> Subscribe, Configuration and 
> Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> *Archives:*
> The Mail 
> Archive<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html>
> Surfbirds <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
> BirdingOnThe.Net <http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html>
> *Please submit your observations to **eBird*<http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>
> *!*
> --
>

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to