I have posted some photos of the AMERICAN AVOCET<http://birdingdude.blogspot.com/2013/08/august-avocet-at-jamaica-bay-wildlife.html>( http://birdingdude.blogspot.com/2013/08/august-avocet-at-jamaica-bay-wildlife.html) that was on the East Pond today at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in Queens. This is our 4th Avocet for the season that I am aware of that has been observed and the 1st for August.
Hopefully, this one sticks around for others to see it since the last few were all one or two day visitors. The other highlights were 2 *Red Knots*loafing with the Black-belied Plovers and a few *Stilt Sandpipers* which has suddenly become harder to find. Shorebird numbers nosedived from yesterday with a lot of birds apparently pulling out last night. I estimated around 600 shorebirds on the pond today and this was during peak high tide. Yesterday, I documented two young Peregrine Falcons running sorties on the East Pond. To add insult to injury, one injured shorebird was picked off near the North Island and eaten in full view of its buddies. Andrew Baksh Queens, NY www.birdingdude.blogspot.com On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM, [email protected] < [email protected]> wrote: > ** > > > Last 2 hours and still there when I left. West side by Dead man's Cove > Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > __._,_.___ > Reply via web > post<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJybmxlYWY5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMzM2MzUwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NwRtc2dJZAMxMjU2MQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzNzY1MDYzMjM-?act=reply&messageNum=12561> > Reply > to sender > <[email protected]?subject=Re%3A%20Avocet%20%20JBWR%20East%20Pond> Reply > to group > <[email protected]?subject=Re%3A%20Avocet%20%20JBWR%20East%20Pond> > Start > a New > Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmc2tybzBoBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMzM2MzUwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNzY1MDYzMjM-> > Messages > in this > topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/message/12561;_ylc=X3oDMTM3MGtnN2s0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMzM2MzUwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NwRtc2dJZAMxMjU2MQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNzY1MDYzMjMEdHBjSWQDMTI1NjE->(1) > Recent Activity: > > > Visit Your > Group<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNGRuamViBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMzM2MzUwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzNzY1MDYzMjM-> > ebirdsnyc: bird sightings from the NYC area > [image: Yahoo! > Groups]<http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMmQ4OWttBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMzM2MzUwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTM3NjUwNjMyMw--> > Switch to: > Text-Only<[email protected]?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>, > Daily Digest<[email protected]?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>• > Unsubscribe <[email protected]?subject=Unsubscribe> • > Terms > of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> • Send us Feedback > <[email protected]?subject=Feedback+on+the+redesigned+individual+mail+v1> > . > > __,_._,___ > -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ --
