Some of the sightings over the past week from Hamilton, Essex, Franklin, and
St. Lawrence Counties:

 

9/9/13 Massawepie Mire (southeastern St. Lawrence Co.)

 

David Buckley and I had a lovely hike at Massawepie Mire yesterday - calm
winds, perfect temperatures, mostly clear skies.  I was ecstatic when David
and I observed a Bobcat ahead of us on the trail at 10:30 a.m. (about 2
miles into our hike)!  It didn't appear to hear or smell us, so it wasn't
running away.  It moved along the edge of the dirt road (heading away from
us), and then crossed the road and disappeared into the forest.  It was a
much larger animal than I imagined this species to be.  What a thrilling
experience!

 

David and I birded on the drive in and began the hike at about 8 a.m.  David
mentioned that it was the "birdiest" he had ever seen Massawepie!  Palm
Warblers were abundant as usual and it appeared that they were all foraging
on the dirt road - in addition to many other species.  It was so busy that
it was hard to know where to look next!  We hiked to Silver Brook (just
under 6 miles round trip).  Here are the 45 species found:

 

Canada Goose - a few flocks overhead

Wood Duck

Common Loon

Turkey Vulture

Bald Eagle

Broad-winged Hawk

Amer. Kestrel

Merlin

Black-billed Cuckoo - great views!  It was giving its amphibian-sounding
call (heard also on migration)

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - male

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 7 (groups of 2 and 5)

Blue Jay

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 7 (groups of 3 and 4)

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Winter Wren - singing

Golden-crowned Kinglet - singing

Veery - several migrants foraging among Amer. Robins (lots of skirmishes
between these 2 species), Cedar Waxwings, and White-throated Sparrows

Swainson's Thrush - 1

Hermit Thrush - several

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Northern Parula - singing

Magnolia Warbler - several

Cape May Warbler - 3 observed

Yellow-rumped Warbler - abundant

Blackburnian Warbler - 1

Pine Warbler - 1

Palm Warbler - abundant

Common Yellowthroat - several; some singing

Wilson's Warbler - 1

Scarlet Tanager - 1

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow - several observed, and one sang once!

White-throated Sparrow - abundant

Dark-eyed Junco

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

 

There were many butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies observed also.  It
continues to be a great season for mushrooms!

 

9/8/13 - Last day I observed a Ruby-throated Hummingbird at our feeders.

 

9/7/13 Whiteface Mountain at dawn, and the Bloomingdale area (Essex and
Franklin Counties)

 

On a tour with a couple from Virginia, we birded Whiteface Mountain at dawn
(very cold!), and areas in Bloomingdale.  Here are some of the 42 species
found:

 

Double-crested Cormorant - 1 on Lake Flower in Saranac Lake

American Kestrel

Belted Kingfisher

Gray Jay - 12! (groups of 4, 3, and 5); the group of 5 was actively caching
food including a mushroom cap!

Black-capped Chickadee - still feeding young

Boreal Chickadee - 8! (groups of 5, 2, and at least 1)

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren - singing

Golden-crowned Kinglet - singing

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Bicknell's Thrush - 15 calling birds on Whiteface and one partial song at
dawn!

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing - extremely abundant this year and still feeding young

Nashville Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Magnolia Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Black-and-white Warbler - singing

Common Yellowthroat - singing

Swamp Sparrow

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

 

We also found Moose tracks that spanned the entire length of Bigelow Road!

 

9/6/13 Sabattis Circle Road (including Sabattis Bog), Tupper Lake Marsh,
Lake Durant, Moose River Plains, and Raquette Lake (mostly Hamilton Co. and
Franklin Co. for Tupper Lake Marsh)

 

On a tour with a birder from North Carolina, we mostly did a car-birding
trip in Hamilton Co.  (we did hike a bit at Moose River Plains including
Helldiver Pond).  Here are some of the 46 species found:

 

Common Loon - 3; one adult on Lake Durant and an adult with a chick on
Raquette Lake

Osprey

Sharp-shinned Hawk - 4

Cooper's Hawk - 2

Broad-winged Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Belted Kingfisher - several

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 2

Eastern Phoebe - near Lake Durant

Gray Jay -heard at Sabattis Bog

Boreal Chickadee - several at Helldiver Pond

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

Gray Catbird

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Magnolia Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

 

There were many people hiking and camping at Helldiver Pond in Moose River
Plains due to a Moose sighting at this location making the newspaper.

 

The dirt road at Moose River Plains was hit hard this year by the severe
weather this spring/summer.  Crews are working on the road, but it is in
rough shape.

 

9/4/13 Whiteface Mountain, Bloomingdale area, and Tupper Lake (Essex and
Franklin Counties)

 

I was on Whiteface Mountain at dawn in high winds (very cold!) - hard to
even stand at the parking area, so I dropped down in elevation.  I heard ~15
to 20 Bicknell's Thrushes calling with one song at dawn.   Swainson's
Thrushes had abandoned high elevation by this date.  Winter Wrens and
Blackpoll Warblers were singing at dawn (by 9/7, see above, we did not
detect or observe any Blackpoll Warbles on the summit of Whiteface).  I
found 44 species this day including 8 Boreal Chickadees and several Cape May
Warblers in the Bloomingdale area.  Ring-necked Ducks have been observed at
the Tupper Lake causeway in the past week.

 

9/3/13 Hanging Spear Falls Trail (High Peaks area in Essex Co.)

 

I ventured over to the Hanging Spears Falls Trail (Tahawus area) to pick
berries last Tuesday.  I found the suspension bridge over the Hudson River
is still out - 2.5 years after floods took it out in April of 2011!  So I
had to take off my boots and socks, roll up my pants and wade across.  Then,
I found that the boardwalk over Lake Jimmy went out this year from the
severe weather!  They re-routed the trail around the lake.  I met a young
Paul Smith's College student who had just completed the 46 High Peaks by
climbing Allen Mountain - he said that the bridge across the Opalescent
River is also still out and he had to wade across it.  He mentioned that he
has talked with trail crews and they do not have the man-power to deal with
all the problems caused by severe weather in the Adirondacks.  Climate
change continues to take its toll.  I found a Scarlet Tanager on the drive
over and 2 Swainson's Thrushes and 1 Hermit Thrush along the trail as I
hiked.  I also observed several orchid species - one very tiny orchid that
is not listed in any of my wildflower guides.

 

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/    

http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian 

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to