*Bronx 10-26-13*

On Saturday, Rich Kelly and I managed over 60 species of birds while
visiting the Bronx to co-lead a nature walk with John Young on the Putnam
Trail at Van Cortlandt Park.

We birded several sites before and after our walk with the highlights
being, *PURPLE FINCH, EASTERN BLUEBIRD AND VESPER SPARROWS*.  The latter
seen at Van Cortlandt Park, 4 found by John Young and another two by Rich
and I as we looked at John's 4 on the Parade Grounds.

After the walk, Rich and I visited Turtle Cove in Pelham Bay to try for the
Red-headed Woodpeckers and Nelson's Sparrows but came up short on both
counts.  We speculated that the wind and time was not in our favor and it
appeared we were correct as the adult Red-headed Woodpeckers were seen on
Sunday and again today.
***********************************************************

*Queens 10-28-13*

Today at Jacob Riis Park, I had 2 *VESPER SPARROWS* , both seen near the
corner of the downed fence by the open area as you head towards the
handball courts.  I also caught a glimpse of the White-throated Sparrow
with "white" patches that Isaac Grant reported on Sunday.  Cool looking
bird but it was very elusive and I did not manage any photos.

The best bird at that location *(due to the date)* was a *BALTIMORE
ORIOLE*seen along the perimeter of the fence just past the bath house.

Later this evening, I peeked in on the East Pond at Jamaica Bay Wildlife
Refuge, to look for shorebirds and arriving waterfowl.  Shorebirds included
a few Greater Yellowlegs, about 70 Dunlins, one Pectoral Sandpiper and 2
peeps which I never got a good look at due to *Falco Peregrinus.

*
Waterfowl diversity are on the rise with Hooded Mergansers and Wood Ducks
being the recent arrivals.  A few more Northern Pintails were noted along
with both Greater and Lesser Scaup and the Ruddy Dduck numbers are rising
quickly.

Snowy Egret numbers have plummeted from the > than 150 that I was recording
late September into early October.  I had a paltry 13 along with 2 immature
Little Blues hanging out with the group.

Cheers!

Andrew Baksh
Queens, NY
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com

"Don't start none, won't be none" ~ Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones

Sent from my iPad

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to