Ken,

 

Here in Queens, which of course is a bit milder, there are overwintering
Red-winged and Rusty Blackbirds and Common Grackles (as is the case in many
winters). The latter roam around in a flock of a couple thousand strong.
There are probably a few other local areas that have grackle flocks. Some
years, they pull out with the onset of severe winter weather, but they've
stuck it out so far. My guess is that you saw overwintering birds that were
by chance flying northward. My experience with grackles that were definitely
on the move in January were flocks heading south along the outer beach one
late January years ago. 

 

I might add that January movements are not restricted to grackles. Some
hawks may move southward in response to harsh conditions. It's usually when
Rough-legged Hawks reach Long Island. So maybe, Ken, you could arrange to
send some of those Orange County Rough-legs this way?  

 

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY

 

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ken
McDermott
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:49 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Snowy continues and when does winter become boring!

 

 This afternoon, having been told that the Snowy Owl was still being seen at
the old Warren Sod Farm(I have NO idea in the world what it is now called)
off Lower Road in the black dirt area of Orange County, I took a quick trip
out there to enjoy the bird again and also to wallow in the ability to have
seen Snowy Owls on nine days during this winter season and 7 times in Orange
County!

 

While enjoying the Owl with Carol Linguanti, her husband and his Aunt as
well as Lee Hunter & Debbie Powell we all witnessed three HUGE flights of
mixed Icterids all headed in a direct northerly direction. The totals I
would estimate at 4-5000 birds. It seemed extremely early and not so wise a
choice considering the upcoming forecasts.  Have others been seeing this?
It is way too early according to my records but it was happening.

 

After leaving the owl, who then was atop the silver silo right on the edge
of Lower Road, Co. Rte 12, I went east to look for the Canada Geese that
were pouring in chevrons in that direction and I caught up to them on Onion
Road.  Scanning I found no other types of Geese but I DID find a beautiful
PEREGRINE FALCON, large enough that it was almost without question of female
and it was feeding on a recent kill.

 

It sure is winter but it is far from boring!

 

GOOD BIRDING,

 

Ken McDermott

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME> Welcome and Basics 

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES> Rules and Information 

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

Archives:

The Mail Archive
<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html> 

 <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L> Surfbirds

BirdingOnThe.Net <http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html> 

Please submit your observations to  <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/> eBird!

--


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to