The common gull is currently being seen on the break wall 150ft north of pier!

Sean sime

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 25, 2014, at 1:56 PM, Andrew Baksh <[email protected]> wrote:

> Heydi Lopes and I have checked several known Ring-billed Gull roosting areas 
> along the Belt to no avail.
> 
> While so far we have not connected with the Coon Gull, we have seen 
> Canvasback Ducks at Coney Island Creek Park.
> 
> In addition, following ski tracks left by Peter Dorosh, we were able to track 
> down 2 Lesser Black-blacked Gulls found and reported earlier by Peter via a 
> tweet.
> 
> The birds were loafing on ice in Coney Island Creek behind the Home Depot.
> 
> Don't start none, won't be none" ~ Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones
> 
>> (\__/)
>> (= '.'=)                                                                     
>>    (") _ (")   Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device! 
> 
> Andrew Baksh
> www.birdingdude.blogspot.com
> 
> On Jan 25, 2014, at 9:32 AM, Andrew Baksh <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Figured I would post an update for anyone contemplating a trip.  No sign of 
>> the Common Gull as of yet.  
>> 
>> A few of us continue to brave the frigid conditions made more so by the 
>> winds. Hopefully someone will have good news to report shortly.
>> 
>> Brrrr.....
>> 
>> Don't start none, won't be none" ~ Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones
>> 
>>> (\__/)
>>> (= '.'=)                                                                    
>>>     (") _ (")   Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device! 
>> 
>> Andrew Baksh
>> www.birdingdude.blogspot.com
>> 
>> On Jan 24, 2014, at 9:43 PM, Shane Blodgett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> This afternoon in Brooklyn, after dropping my daughter off at the train, I 
>>> made a couple of stops on the way back home to check for birds, planning 
>>> not to leave the warmth of the car. There was an adult male European Wigeon 
>>> off the 58th Street pier in Brooklyn and 330 RBGU roosting on the pier. A 
>>> few minutes glassing the gulls circling over the Owl's Head WWTP revealed 
>>> nothing of interest, but as I turned onto Shore Road to head home I saw 
>>> there were a good number of RBGU roosting on Veteran's Memorial pier. I 
>>> only had my binoculars and not enough warm clothing but decided to park and 
>>> walk out on the pier far enough to make sure the BHGU that had frequented 
>>> this area over the past few years was not roosting among them. This is what 
>>> I found instead:
>>> 
>>> http://tinyurl.com/k3of77w
>>> 
>>> I actually had to go home and retrieve my camera (and some warmer clothes) 
>>> to get these shots, and luckily the bird was still there. I say lucky 
>>> because shortly thereafter the whole flock upped with some birds heading 
>>> south and some north and some settling on the water. I lost the Common Gull 
>>> and then did not relocate it in the next 1 hour and 45 minutes. It was a 
>>> little after high tide and in total the bird was on or in the area for ~30 
>>> minutes before I lost track of it. I initially sdaw the bird around 2:00.
>>> 
>>> I was initially drawn to the dark eye, smallish yellow-green bill with 
>>> smudgy black subterminal markings, a more rounded head giving it a gentler 
>>> expression than the nearby Ring-bills. A prominent tertial crescent and 
>>> decidedly larger mirror in P10 all seemed good. The mantle color seemed 
>>> concolorous with the surrounding RBGU and the legs appeared more yellow 
>>> than I expected, but some research online and in my gull reference books at 
>>> home seem to indicate a high degree of variability in Larus Canus, as there 
>>> is in most of the larger gull taxa.
>>> 
>>> Unfortunately I was not able to get any spread wing or flight shots but I 
>>> did note that there was a sizable mirror on P9 and moons somewhere on 
>>> P6-8/9, though I'm not exactly sure of their placement.
>>> 
>>> Regards,
>>> Shane Blodgett
>>> Brooklyn NY
>>> --
>>> NYSbirds-L List Info:
>>> Welcome and Basics
>>> Rules and Information
>>> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
>>> Archives:
>>> The Mail Archive
>>> Surfbirds
>>> BirdingOnThe.Net
>>> Please submit your observations to eBird!
>>> --
> --
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> Welcome and Basics
> Rules and Information
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> Archives:
> The Mail Archive
> Surfbirds
> BirdingOnThe.Net
> Please submit your observations to eBird!
> --

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to