I have a blog post up that includes photos that should help for those who
are interested in looking for the Brooklyn Common Gull.  I suggest that
visitor go prepared for VERY cold and sometimes windy conditions at
Veterans Memorial Pier in Brooklyn.

If the bird is seen again on the pier, please be vigilant of the many
visitors to the pier and try to talk them into not flushing the birds.  The
few of use who were on the bird for the short time we had yesterday did
just that and were somewhat successful but not always.  The Common Gull
seemed much more wary of activity than the Ring-billed Gulls and I saw how
it responded to someone (not a birder) who walked right behind the roosting
flock of birds.  It immediately stood up acting nervous and left shortly
after.  Hopefully, these tips help.

People who drive should also check the known Ring-billed Gull roosting
spots along the Belt Parkway.  I checked several such areas after the bird
left yesterday but could not re-find it but these areas should not be
overlooked.

See the photos here -
http://birdingdude.blogspot.com/2014/01/when-gull-aint-so-common-you-feeze-for.html

Cheers!

Andrew Baksh

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to