Actually Rob, I think you're original identification was the correct one. In my 
view these are BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES, not Rusty Blackbirds. 

Icterids can be tricky at times and it's important to consider several criteria 
when making an identification: plumage, structure, vocalizations and habitat. 
The relatively uniform appearances and rather warm brown tones of the bulk of 
these birds fits female BT Grackle better than Rusty. A couple of males are 
present and seem to show grackle-like tails, although not as pronounced as 
breeding adult males. The first thing that caught my eye however was the birds' 
structure, especially that of the bills on birds with their heads turned to the 
side, appearing too long and heavy for Rusty Blackbird. Many of these may be 
young birds, but that's hard to tell.

If I understand your directions, these blackbirds were in trees adjacent to the 
extensive saltmarshes  separating the barrier beach from the mainland, perfect 
Boat-tail habitat but uncharacteristic for Rusty, which is closely tied to 
freshwater swamps except during active migration.

Angus Wilson, New York City & The Springs, NY

> On Feb 23, 2014, at 5:44 PM, Robert Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Update: with some help (thank you!) the blackbirds were identified as Rusty 
> Blackbirds - I counted at least 106 (there was one starling mixed in).  I'll 
> reported to e-bird for the Rusty Blackbird outreach program.

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to