I enjoyed an excellent day of birding around Long Island's North Shore and 
Riverhead area with Chase Cammarota today. The undoubted highlight was when a 
second PINK-FOOTED GOOSE appeared out of the 4,000 plus Canada Geese that were 
feeding in the large field at the northeast intersection of Reeve's and Roanoke 
Avenue and Riverhead.

When we first arrived around 11:45 AM we immediately noticed a densely packed 
congregation of Canada Geese feeding at the above specified location. There, we 
quickly located a Pink-footed Goose that obliged us with excellent views as it 
fed, stretched and preened toward the south end and in front of the entire 
flock. Once we got our fill, we moved on to try and locate some Cackling Geese 
when we heard a strange, unfamiliar goose call from the north section of the 
flock. I decided to focus my attention in that general area and after a few 
minutes my scope got tripped up on a second Pink-footed Goose! This was 
undoubtedly the unfamiliar calling goose that we heard. 

Both Pink-footed Geese did not associate with one another and actively fed with 
different flocks. Back and forth comparison of both geese yielded subtle 
differences in overall tone and bill coloration. One of the Pink-foots seemed 
slightly paler overall with just a tad less duskiness on it's bill tip. Other 
birders on site were able to corroborate these subtle, yet apparent, individual 
differences (which may not be reflected so well on my distant digiscope shots). 

Chase and I left the giant goose flock at 1:30 and by that time both 
Pink-footed Geese had wandered off and out of view. In fact, most of the flock 
had dispersed and more loosely scattered about the entire area. One of the 
Pink-foots (south most feeding bird) took flight and landed a bit further to 
the northeast, but stayed in the same general area. The north most feeding 
goose wandered off past a small berm, also toward the northeast, and eventually 
got lost in the mess of Canadas. This was one of the larger flocks of Canada 
Geese that I've seen and birds continued to file in until we left the location. 
Other notables included 2 Cackling Geese (1 picked out by Anthony Collerton and 
I was soon able to return the favor) and a single Greater White-fronted Goose 
(I believe Bob Proenowych called this one out but apologies if I'm in error).

I guess the glaring question is just how long have these two Pink-footed Geese 
been around? I heard speculation of possibly two birds about a week ago. I also 
understand that there was a recent, large influx of geese in the past day or 
two in speaking with active birders on both the North and South Forks of Long 
Island. Perhaps a recent arrival? Some distant digiscope shots of today's 
Pink-footed Geese can be seen on my Flickr link below. I also included a map 
showing the area  in which both Pink-foots were seen. 

Best,
Derek Rogers
Sayville
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39025168@N07/
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to