Friday, 7 March, 2014 - Manhattan, N.Y. City

On an afternoon cycle around the northern portions of Manhattan's  
waterfront, I came upon a Red-necked Grebe (in basic / winter plumage)  
very close to the shore at about the "latitude" of West 168 Street,  
off the upper part of [what I assume is still known as] Riverside  
Park, and a good 1/2 mile south of the G.W. bridge and the well-known  
landmark along the river shore at the bridge's base, the "Little Red  
Lighhouse"... I watched the grebe for many minutes as it fed & swam in  
a light ice flow, as well as out in more open water. This is my first  
sighting of this species off Manhattan itself - within a few yards  
most of the time I watched. (I may return to the site soon to see if  
perhaps it is still close by, & photographable... (don't forget camera  
batteries, duh) and if I don't make it there this late afternoon, may  
try there tomorrow. I'm not quite sure where parking is for this area,  
with a lot off the southbound W. Side Highway (or Henry Hudson Pkwy.,  
same rd.) that is next to a sports area around the W. 150's (?), maybe  
W. 145 St. - that lot is open now. My access is by 2-wheeler, bicycle  
that is and thus along the bike & pedestrian pathway along the river's  
edge. There is a very slight cove at the area where I saw the grebe...  
& yes, I know how common this grebe species has been for some  
(including or esp. in other boroughs of NYC) but it's a great sighting  
for Manhattan - maybe even better for being a "west sider"...

Also, being up in that neighborhood, I continued on to the lagoon (&  
Harlem river cut-thru that comes in from the Hudson river to the west)  
at the northernmost end of Inwood Hill Park, next to West 215 Street,  
and, sharing the sight with 2 other birders, saw the very striking  
partially-leucistic (?) Canvasback, with a couple more of that species  
in standard plumage, plus the also-striking (esp. so close by & off  
Manhattan) drake White-winged Scoter, plus the 3 Scaup which I would  
say are Greater, but will defer to Joe D's ID as well as anyone who  
may have been able to photo, or scope, them. A Red-breasted Merganser  
was also present at this area as I arrived but moved off. There may be  
parking on or near West 215 Street, and there are #1 subway train  
stops close by at Broadway, a 5-10 minute walk to the east.

Additional duckage was provided on the Hudson river with at least 9  
Common Goldeneye (5 hens & 4 drakes) well off Spuyten Duyvil, as  
viewed from the river-edge ballfields at Inwood Hill park, that are  
accessed from the west end of Dyckman Street.  Also, and perhaps seen  
by others in recent weeks, there were at least 9 Canvasbacks around  
the south side of Riverbank park, off about West 133-134 Sts. & when I  
watched, not that easy to observe as there are a few obstructions and  
areas which are completely off-limits to the public as one approaches  
the water-treatment plant under Riverbank park.  I saw little of note  
at Swindler Cove park & adjacent areas (off the east end of Dyckman  
St., n. Manhattan) later, but that whole area can be well-worth  
checking - especially as  ice clears away.

I may as well also mention that the previously reported drab-plumafed  
Pine Warbler, 2 Baltimore Orioles (one in full adult male color), &  
some of the other birds recently seen all continued at the feeders in  
Central Park's Ramble this morning.  The warbler & orioles may take a  
while to appear, the more so if various hawks are lurking and or other  
temporary disturbances are found.

good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to