I hadn't heard reports of this bird in over four months and I wouldn't
usually think to chase such birds, but I did today. And it's still there -
namely the RED-HEADED WOODPECKER at Muttontown Preserve. This in an
immature, now sporting a fair amount of red on the head. To look for it,
take the trail southeastward from the nature center. Within site of the
nature center, there's a vernal pond on the right. Look in the trees
surrounding the pond, usually about two-thirds the way up toward the tops of
the trees. A picture can be seen at http://www.stevewalternature.com/ .

 

>From there, I hit some water spots on the north shore. A RED-NECKED GREBE
was at the end of the long (closed off) pier in Oyster Bay. A dozen Common
Mergansers and two Pintails were among the ducks on nearby Mill Pond, with
an Osprey flying over. St. John's Pond had a robust number of about 80
Ring-necked Ducks and a pair of Redheads. On the east side of Cold Spring
Harbor, there were two RED-NECKED GREBES, both at one time or another close
to the little fishing pier almost opposite the Harbor Mist restaurant. One
of these is in very nice plumage. I've been keeping tabs on the two that I
found on the Mill River for the opportunity to get breeding plumage
pictures. I'd been seeing what I assumed to be the same two weekly, although
upriver from the original spot. I only found one yesterday, but the bill
pattern suggested a new individual. So they seem to be still shuffling
around.

 

Back on Redheads, there was a cooperative pair fairly close to shore on
Baldwin's Milburn Pond, if you're looking for that. Yea, Redheads everywhere
now. In Queens, there were 36 on Baisley Pond last weekend and two continue
on Oakland Lake.

 

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to