3/21/14 Long Lake (northern Hamilton Co.)

 

Yesterday, at 1:15 p.m., my husband and I had a conversation interrupted by
the extremely loud vocalizations of a Red-shouldered Hawk outside our house!
The Blue Jays have been imitating Broad-winged Hawks every day (one is going
as I write this!), so I fully expected to see a Blue Jay when I looked out
the window, but instead, it was indeed a Red-shouldered Hawk!  I suspect it
was attracted by huge numbers of Red and Gray Squirrels here for bird seed.
This also solves the ID of the distant vocalization that I recorded down our
road on 3/6/14 (which several folks have also been trying to solve).  I kept
coming back to Red-shouldered Hawk when I listened to it, but kept telling
myself that 3/6 is just way too early for the central Adirondacks (they
usually show up in later April and I find many breeding in the Long Lake
area - at wetlands that drain into Long Lake).  The vocalization that I
recorded was very intense.  Yesterday, the Red-shouldered Hawk was giving
the exact same intense vocalization, which was likely because it was being
harassed by corvids (Amer. Crows and Blue Jays) at the time - they drove it
away from the house as I observed it.  I believe it was back again this
morning - I caught sight as it flew away.  We have at least 2 feet of snow
on the ground (with more lake effect snows every day) and no open water.
The weather forecast shows more of the same, with no spring weather yet, so
it seems very surprising that a Red-shouldered Hawk would come back so
early.  (I enjoyed emailing about the recording with Kurt Fox - yes Kurt, it
was indeed a "rapid, urgent" Red-shouldered Hawk!  Both of us kept trying to
dismiss this possibility based on the date.  Given how mixed up things are
becoming with climate change, it is always best to trust your instincts
now!)

 

In addition to this Red-shouldered Hawk, which appears to have returned to
the mountains on 3/6/14, we found one on 1/13/14 near Port Henry (perched
over a little, open stream) in the Lake Champlain Valley.  There have been
several other reports of a Red-shouldered Hawk in that area, so I suspect it
is the same bird, and that it over-wintered this year.  There was also a
Red-shouldered Hawk that over-wintered across Lake Champlain in Vermont.
Port Henry is around only 200-300' in elevation, and our house is at 2,000',
so the weather is quite a bit more harsh here!  There are certainly no
snakes or amphibians for this bird to eat right now!

 

The day before "spring", 3/19/14, two Red-winged Blackbirds showed up at our
feeders for just a couple minutes - the only brief sign of spring all week.
It is interesting that Pat & John Thaxton also had a visit from Red-winged
Blackbirds that day.

 

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to