Today from 1100am-2:00PM I watched a seemingly unending wave of warblers
passing through my backyard, in Montgomery, NY. In the swath of trees approx.
50 yards wide, running between my house and the Wallkill River, I first noticed
birds in the treetops around 11. Over the next 3 hours, I enjoyed 15 species
of Warblers at home, in addition to Scarlet Tanagers, Baltimore Orioles and RB
Grosbeaks. Total number of birds is an estimated 400-450 during that time,
with Yellow rumps making up about 300 of that number. I had my first
Blackburnian at home, and then another 7, followed by the highlight of the day,
when I spotted a Cape May. My father (Ken McDermott) joined me around 2 PM
just as the wave ended. We moved further down river (North in this case) and
managed to find the tail end of the wave and a good variety of birds within it.
Additionally, we had many Purple Martins feeding above the water. An un
believable day of backyard birding. I wonder how many I missed during the
earlier hours. Great to be able to share it with my father and friend.
Warbler Species:
Nashville
Parula
Yellow
Chestnut-sided
Magnolia
Cape May
Black-throated Blue
Yellow-rumped 300+/-
Black-throated Green
Blackburnian- 8+2
Blackpoll
Black-and-white
Redstart
Yellowthroat
Wilsons 1+1
I received a report from Scott Baldinger, that he had 25 species of Warbler at
the Bashakill today.
Good Birding,
Curt McDermott
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--