I spent a few hours on the remains of the West Pond trail closest to the
visitor's center birding the area for a while with Sean Sime and keeping
vigil on the cycling Ibis flock that were roving in and out of the marsh
near the Osprey platform before the breach.

As of 2:45 p.m. when I left, I had not seen the adult White-faced Ibis, but
a few birders, Ed Becher, Eric Miller and Lisa Scheppke were left on Ibis
duty. Perhaps, they may have positive results to report later.

Despite not seeing the WFIB, I enjoyed listening to and observing many
other species including Green Heron, Tri-colored Heron and Gull-billed
Terns among the notables.

Shorebirds included: Short-billed Dowitcher, Ruddy Turnstone, Black-belied
Plover, Red Knot, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper, Least
Sandpiper, Eastern Willet, Dunlin, Semipalmated Plover and American
Oystercatcher.

Other birds reported but not seen or heard by me included: Black-billed
Cuckoo in the  South Gardens and Royal Tern near the West Pond trail
(seen/heard by visiting British birders) and Alder Flycatcher seen and
heard by Ed Becher at Big John's Pond.

Birders trying for the WFIB, should try and figure out where the Ibis flock
might be hanging out when they are not in the marsh.  Big John's Pond might
be a good place to check since they were known to be there last year.  I
would suggest the East Pond, but it appears the water level might be high
at this point.

Seeing the breach today again reminded me why I avoid birding the West
Pond. It is depressing to see something that should have been addressed in
the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Sandy still not fixed. I could only
hope that our efforts to raise awareness via many efforts including the
Birders Coalition and the on-line petition will eventually see a restored
West Pond. If we cannot stand up and be heard for a place we love then we
might as well pack up our gear and head home!

Good New York Birding!

Andrew Baksh
www.birdingude.blogspot.com

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu <http://refspace.com/quotes/Sun_Tzu>  *The Art of
War*<http://refspace.com/quotes/The_Art_of_War>

(\__/)
(= '.'=)

(") _ (")





On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Sean Sime <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am currently viewing an adult White-faced Ibis from the west pond trail
> near the osprey platform before the cut.
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> --
>
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
>
> ARCHIVES:
> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
> 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
> 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
>
> Please submit your observations to eBird:
> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
>
> --
>
>

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to