Yesterday, I scouted the water level on the East Pond at Jamaica Bay Wildlife 
Refuge in Queens and as they promised NPS, have opened up the valve to lower 
the water for shorebird season. Please be aware, that the water level was very 
high on the pond and it will take some time to get it down to where it needs to 
be, so please be patient. I will continue to monitor and report on the 
situation.

Since, the subject is the East Pond, I should add that the Scaup species that 
Jack Rothman and Bronx Brenden tentatively reported last week, is indeed a 
Greater Scaup. 

Over on the other side of the road. The highlights were Acadian Flycatcher on 
the "West Trail Long Walk." No I am not kidding, that is the name used by NPS 
instead of "West Pond." Draw your own conclusions.  Black-billed Cuckoo and 
White-eyed Vireo - South Gardens, Red-breasted Merganser - West Pond and 
Glaucous Gull at Terrapin Point. Note, no nest reconnaissance or "rabbit holes" 
were involved with the Acadian sighting :-)

Today:

Out east today, at Pikes Beach LI, not many shorebirds were around. I had one 
small flock of 35 birds made up of Dunlins, Semipalmated Sandpipers and 
Sanderlings. On my way out, I found my first tagged horseshoe crab at that 
site; unfortunately, it was dead.

At Cupsogue, I waded out to the flats well before low tide and spent a good 4-5 
hours working the birds, mostly spending time with the Terns. Roseate, 
Forster's and a few 1st summer Common, Forster's and 1 Least were the only 
notable terns. The shorebird numbers were even lower than Pikes with 1 Western 
Willet being they only new arrival.

Tom Burke and Gail Benson who took their turn at Pikes Beach, while I did the 
flats, ended up pulling out a White-rumped Sandpiper down the road at Tiana 
Beach.  I later caught up with the bird before joining Tom and Gail at 
Shinnecock, where we did a late afternoon seawatch for a few hours. A total of 
4 possibly 5 Great Shearwaters were the highlights there.

Cheers,

Andrew



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to