Having participated in this statewide list since the beginning, Kevin, Isaac, 
and I have seen it change a lot as the birding information environment has 
changed. I think that recognizing the optimal threshold for inclusion/exclusion 
of posts is more difficult and takes more skill than most people recognize. It 
is therefore inevitable that people will disagree on the suitability of posts 
from time to time. Nevertheless, I believe that Kevin's and Isaac's criticisms 
are valid enough to warrant discussion--and a post to the list!

As Kevin senses and Isaac agrees, there has emerged a tendency downstate for 
over-reporting very common-place things (but I'm not convinced that Avocets 
really fall on that side of the threshold). This is probably mostly a function 
of inexperience and is usually amenable to improvement over time, sometimes, 
perhaps, with gentle prompts from more senior people, sent privately.

At least as striking, however, is Isaac's point about inappropriate 
non-reporting from upstate. I guess the best we can do in that department is to 
praise Joan and Jay and Andy and others when they do make the effort to get the 
info out to the rest of the state, but some very remarkable records have failed 
to reach the statewide list in recent years.

The Avocet business that pushed Kevin's buttons falls in an intermediate 
position. This species is usually rare enough statewide that I personally 
believe it deserves to be reported to the list, but I'll acknowledge that 
during a good flight, detailed accounting of the comings and goings of multiple 
individuals in a single region can get tedious.

In my opinion, the first two extremes (over-reporting of really mundane stuff 
downstate and under-reporting of genuinely newsworthy birds upstate) are not 
only more serious than the Avocet sort of problem, but that they are also much 
more easily defined and remedied. In other words, we could do a lot worse than 
to take Avocet's statewide status as the approximate threshold for reporting 
birds to the list: it's easy to suggest to beginning birders downstate that a 
bird might not need to be reported to the list unless it approaches the rarity 
of Avocet; and it's similarly simple and logical to chide the central NY 
birding mafia for failing to report things that are much, much rarer than 
Avocet.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore

________________________________
CSI Represents NY in Nationwide State Rankings. Learn 
more>>><http://csitoday.com/2014/04/csi-represents-ny-in-nationwide-state-rankings/>

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to