I started at "The Golden Trapezium" in Riverhead, finding only a few
Killdeers on the ground, along with a total of 8 Turkey Vultures overhead,
5 heading east. At the Lamont residence in Northville, as Eric was pointing
out the favorite tree in their backyard of a Great Horned Owl, which has
been visiting fairly regular, a high flying Red-Tail screamed, and then
went into a 45 degree power-dive, which unfortunately ended out of sight.
With it's wings pulled back close to it's body, it reminded us of a
Peregrine Falcon ! We also were treated to 14 T.V's. heading east. I then
headed west to visit the DeLea Sod Farm on Sound Ave Riv. (nothing visible)
before checking out the Dallalio S.F. on Sound Ave, c/o Osborne Ave, with
the same shore-bird results. I did however, pick up another 5 T.V's.
between there and Horton Ave.

Arriving home, I kissed my wife, and then made a huge, tactical error... I
ate before checking the computer - never again !!! Reading Andrew Baksh's 2
posts, I ran out the door, hopped in the car, and proceeded to exceed the
20 mph speed limit in our condominium. I called Andrew enroute, and was
told the bird was still there...yes !  Of course, the traffic was slow on
Dune Rd. (all the way to Copsogue), but things seemed to go good for me,
when a 4 wheel drive vehicle stopped and drove me most of the way from the
parking lot to the cut-off trail to the bay. Heading west toward the flats,
I then met the triumphant column of successful birders, who in fact, had
seen the bird ! It fell on Dave Klauber (first in line) to "gut-up" and
give me the sad news - the bird had took off when disturbed by a loud plane
~ 1/2 hour before, and because of the rising tide, probably would not
return today. Shai Mitra (last in line) being the gentlemen that he is,
went back with me to show me the safest spot to cross the channel. Steve
Schellenger was still on the other side, looking for the plover. We looked
until all the plovers left, with not much mud above water. Pat Pallidino
arrived as Steve & I were wading back, and although he missed the bird too,
at least he was saved the crossing.

The up side of this afternoon's adventure was seeing my FOS Marbled Godwit,
as well as my FOS Royal Terns, 1 adult & 2 juveniles.

Cheers,
Bob
Congratulations Andrew !

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to