It has been over two weeks since I've heard or observed any Pine Siskins or
Purple Finches in the central Adirondacks.  American Goldfinches continue to
visit our feeders, increasing in numbers.  I hear them everywhere I hike
also.  I encountered Evening Grosbeaks again along Sabattis Circle Road in
Long Lake.  I've heard low-flyover White-winged Crossbills twice along
Sabattis Circle Road.

 

11/11/14 Sabattis Circle Road, Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

 

Northern Cardinal - female; This is the second Northern Cardinal I've
encountered in the past week - this species continues its range expansion

White-winged Crossbill - small group heard flying over Sabattis Bog

 

11/10/14 Bloomingdale Areas and several roads in Spring Pond Bog (Franklin
Co.)

 

On a tour with a couple from Brooklyn, we spent the day in boreal habitat in
Franklin Co.  Here are some of the species found:

 

Hooded Merganser

Common Merganser

Ruffed Grouse

Northern Goshawk - flying across Oregon Plains Rd. in Bloomingdale!

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2; photograph of a male on my Facebook page below

Pileated Woodpecker - 2

Gray Jay - at least 7 in 4 different groups (2,2,1,2) including one that
came to a hand for raisins! (5 photos on my Facebook page below)

Boreal Chickadee - at least 11 in 4 different groups (2,3,2,4)

Brown Creeper

Golden-crowned Kinglet

 

We also observed an Ermine cross the road in front of our car on Route 30.
It was already in its winter white plumage (about 95% white with just a few
brown hairs left).  Daylight (not cold) is the trigger that stops hormone
production in Ermine.  Fur is shed and white fur is the result of no
pigment.  (There is also genetics involved since southern U.S. Ermine remain
brown.)  I have been observing white Snowshoe Hares and Ermine for the past
decade sticking out like sore thumbs in a landscape devoid of snow.  (The
Snowshoe Hare often appear as white plastic bags on brown ground - in the
snow, you would never notice them.)  The timing of this change likely
evolved over a long period of time.  Climate changes in the past couple
decades have been rapid and dramatic.  I suspect this is causing serious
problems for the white mammals.  It has gotten to the point where the only
month we can count on total snow cover in the Adirondacks is now down to
just February.  (Historically, it was late Oct. to late April.)  Worrisome.

 

11/8/14 Sabattis Circle Road (Long Lake, Hamilton Co.) and Spring Pond Bog
(Franklin Co.)

 

At the Little Tupper Lake/Round Lake outlet area, I stopped the car to
listen for Black-backed Woodpeckers.  I didn't hear a woodpecker, but I did
immediately hear White-winged Crossbills!  I jumped out, and the
White-winged Crossbill vocalizations faded away, and then I heard Evening
Grosbeaks!  There were several Bufflehead on Little Tupper Lake.

 

In the afternoon at Spring Pond Bog, I found 3 different Ruffed Grouse, 1
adult Bald Eagle, 2 Black-backed Woodpeckers, 8 Gray Jays (3 different
groups), and 3 Boreal Chickadees.

 

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell       

(518) 624-5528 home

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/   

http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian

 

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to