A huge raft of mostly Greater Scaup are between Hunter and Twin Islands in 
Pelham Bay Park. There are actually three rafts, one off Orchard Beach and two 
more between the islands. The rafts continuously merge and separate. I’m 
guessing there are approximately 2000 Scaup, quite a sight as they lift off.
Yesterday there were an additional 1500 or so Brant alongside the Scaup. Other 
species include Horned Grebe, Common Goldeneye, Common Loon, Red-breasted 
Merganser, American Black Duck, Mallard, Great Blue Heron, Great Cormorant, 
Bufflehead, Greater Black-backed, Herring and Ring-billed Gulls.

Of note was an Eastern Bluebird, the first I’ve seen here in years. Just as I 
left the lookout where I scoped the ducks, it flew out and landed nearby.

Jack Rothman
cityislandbirds.com
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to