My goose chase this afternoon was partly successful, yielding one Greater
White-fronted Goose and one Cackling Goose amidst the Canadas visible from
Route 43 (Northville Turnpike), north of its intersection with Route 105. I
did not find the Pink-footed Goose, but it may well have been among the
considerable number of geese behind the rise that blocks view of the entire
field.

Earlier, I visited Mount Sinai Harbor on the north shore. Some gulls were
foraging along the outlet from the estuary, but I did not see the recently
reported Glaucous Gull.

Later, I went to Shinnecock Inlet. Hundreds of Common Eiders and some
scoters, in flocks of various sizes, were flying in and out of the inlet,
settling briefly  but then taking flight again.  I did not see the King
Eider. When I left, some had alighted on the ocean just east of the
jetties, while others were gone.  I didn't discern any cause of this
behavior, and wonder if it will prove to have been a prelude to departure
from the area.

Doug Futuyma
Stony Brook

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to