Late this afternoon, I found a Drake Common Teal (Eurasian) or if you
prefer, Green-winged Teal (Eurasian) in the company of several American
Green-winged Teals at Brookville Park Queens. This is the same area I found
one last year, though the date was later, see here -
http://birdingdude.blogspot.com/2014/03/photo-study-of-green-winged-vs-common.html

Among the 23 other Green-winged Teals, there was one that could be a
candidate for an intergrade, Common X American. The facial pattern on this
duck was well defined like the Common Teal but while the vertical stripe
was strong, the horizontal stripe indicating Common Teal parentage was
weak. I might just chalk it up as a variation of American Green-winged Teal
unless my photos convince otherwise.

Other notables in the Brookville area included 1 Black-crowned Night-Heron
and 4 Greater Yellowlegs. The latter up from 2 indicating new arrivals,
probably frozen out from other areas.

Earlier at Idlewild Preserve, another area in Southeast Queens, I had a
Rough-legged Hawk perched near "snake road" off of Rockaway Blvd. A note on
Snake Road, it is a treacherous stretch and folks do not drive that road
slowly so be very careful if you bird that area.

Namasté,

-- 
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu <http://refspace.com/quotes/Sun_Tzu>  *The Art of War*
<http://refspace.com/quotes/The_Art_of_War>

(\__/)
(= '.'=)

(") _ (")


Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to