After an early afternoon appointment at the VA Hospital in Northport, I
decided to stop at the Calverton Grasslands on the way home. While there, I
had 2 dark morph Rough-legs, plus a very probable 3rd bird, and 1 of the
resident Red-tail Hawks. "Lonesome George", the moniker given to the single
Turkey Vulture that has patrolled the Wading River, Calverton and Riverhead
fields and roads for a number of years, was seen today over Middle Rd.,
Calverton. Closer to home, near the intersection of Roanoke Ave & Reeves
Ave, Riverhead, were N.Harrier, Red-tail Hawk and a light-morph
Rough-legged Hawk. Combining the posts of Sean, Ardith and my own (10 sure,
1 probable and  2-4 possible) caused me to wonder what a realistic number
for L.I. might be ? I'm going to make it ~ 28, taking into effect, that
although we were in prime habitat, there were only 4 individuals involved.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Again referencing Sean's post, I too was surprised by finding certain ducks
resting with a goose flock on a snow covered field, on Lenny Bruno's Farm,
at the intersection of Wading River Rd. & the LIE (Exit 69). Taking this
exit to get to the Calverton Grasslands, I pulled over to check out the
Canada flock, finding 6 Pintails, ~ 20 Mallards and ~ 5 Black Ducks, among
the geese. While Mallards & Black Ducks are fairly common in the fields out
east, I can't remember ever finding Pintails with them.

Cheers,
Bob

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to