We watched the hawk migration from Krull County Park in Olcott today with
only modest success with the raptors :

93 Turkey Vultures

1 Cooper's Hawk

7 Red-shouldered hawks

12 Red-tailed Hawks

1 American Kestrel

 

Other birds of note:

1 Pileated Woodpecker

2 Snow Goose (blue morph)

2 Northern Flickers (normally a number around during winter but not many at
all this year - these likely just arrived)

1 Northern Shrike - my first since last spring

3 E. Meadowlarks - our first this year

 

After finishing with the hawk watch, I went up to the lake to check the
geese, only to see a couple thousand lifting off the water as I pulled up -
the coast guard boat had flushed them. I looked them over as best I could
and found one blue-morph SNOW GOOSE.

 

Afterwards, at home, I checked the lake in front of the house and had one
CACKLING GOOSE among the 2000 or so Canada Geese there. A flock of 60 COMMON
REDPOLLS showed up at our feeders. With them was a possible female HOARY
REDPOLL that eluded my feeble attempts to photograph it. It was quite pale
with limited thin streaking below, it was much paler above than the other
redpolls, it had mostly unstreaked undertail coverts, a mostly unstreaked
rump, and a bill that may not have been any smaller than on the Commons.
Thus, my reticence to call it. There was also a male PURPLE FINCH here,
which arrived on Tuesday.

 

Good birding!

Willie

------------------

Willie D'Anna

Betsy Potter

Wilson, NY

dannapotterATroadrunner.com

http://www.betsypottersart.com <http://www.betsypottersart.com/> 

2013 Big Year: http://www.betsypottersart.com/willie-s-photos/2013-big-year/

Big Year List:
http://www.happtech.com/BigYearDanna/CurrentList/ShowCurrentListTable.aspx

Odenates: http://www.betsypottersart.com/willie-s-photos/dragonflies

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to