Shane Blodgett, who was in the field when I called him about the report also 
was not convinced by the mantle color even though he was looking at the photos 
on his phone.

Andrew

> On Mar 24, 2015, at 4:50 PM, Dominic Garcia-Hall <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
> 
> A a European migrant myself, with some familiarity with these, I'd be 
> hesitant to call it. Can't see much color on the gape - would expect red 
> 'line' and lining - matching eye ring color.
> Mantle color really quite variable and also hard to judge.
> But I'm not really a gull person. Happy to stand corrected. 
> Dom
> 
> www.aventuraargentina.com
> 
> www.antbirder.blogspot.com
> 
> + 1 646 429 2667
> 
>> On 24 March 2015 at 16:40, Andrew Baksh [email protected] [ebirdsnyc] 
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>  
>> Good points Phil. A few more things in favor "for" are the the bill and head 
>> which is very clean. I have not attempted to blow up any of the photos to 
>> look more closely at the orbital ring. 
>> 
>> The mantle though is where I am uncertain as it seems so pale.
>> 
>> Andrew
>> 
>>> On Mar 24, 2015, at 4:21 PM, Phil Jeffrey [email protected] 
>>> [ebirdsnyc] <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>  
>>> I'd refer you to gull-research.org, which isn't always the easiest thing to 
>>> read.  e.g. http://www.gull-research.org/ylgadsubad/admar/06cymar.htm
>>> 
>>> Nevertheless my understanding of L. michahellis, while limited, is that 
>>> it'll have a red-orange eye orbital ring while your bird has a yellow or 
>>> yellow-orange one.
>>> http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/yellow-legged-gull shows this 
>>> fairly well.
>>> You'd probably want side-by-side shots with smithonianus Herring gulls to 
>>> highlight any structure differences (and, apropos Andrew's comment, mantle 
>>> shade which is really difficult to assess from isolated photos).
>>> 
>>> Back in 2004 Pete Shen found a yellow-legged Herring Gull at Jamaica Bay.  
>>> We posted the images on BIRDWG01 and the consensus was that this was an odd 
>>> (American) Herring Gull.  I suspect the Plumb Beach bird might be the adult 
>>> alternate version of this anomaly but I'd be interested in dissenters from 
>>> this view since Yellow-legged is very rare in the USA.
>>> My page hosting Pete's pictures is still up, at: 
>>> http://www.philjeffrey.net/ylhg.html
>>> 
>>> Phil
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:02 PM, [email protected] [ebirdsnyc] 
>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>  
>>>> Today at 10:30 AM an isolated possible Yellow legged Gull at Plumb Beach. 
>>>> Near a group of 12 Oystercatchers and 40 Brant,
>>>> 
>>>> I am not an expert, any feedback is welcome. I have additional images if 
>>>> needed.
>>>> 
>>>> Thank you.
>>>> 
>>>> Juan Salas
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Yellow legged Gull Plumb Beach 20150324
>>>> 
>>>>    
>>>> Yellow legged Gull Plumb Beach 20150324
>>>> Explore js472's photos on Flickr. js472 has uploaded 78 photos to Flickr.
>>>> View on www.flickr.com
>>>> Preview by Yahoo
>>>>  Yellow legged Gull Plumb Beach b 20150324
>>>> 
>>>>    
>>>> Yellow legged Gull Plumb Beach b 20150324
>>>> Explore js472's photos on Flickr. js472 has uploaded 78 photos to Flickr.
>>>> View on www.flickr.com
>>>> Preview by Yahoo
>>>>  
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> -- 
>>> "If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge"
>>> - Henry Spencer
>> 
>> __._,_.___
>> Posted by: Andrew Baksh <[email protected]>
>> Reply via web post                           •       Reply to sender         
>>                 •       Reply to group                          •       
>> Start a New Topic               •       Messages in this topic (3)           
>>             
>> ebirdsnyc: bird sightings from the NYC area
>> VISIT YOUR GROUP New Members 2
>> • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use 
>> .
>>  
>> 
>> __,_._,___
> 

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to