In addition to opposing this bill, it would be good to find a sympathetic state legislator (or two) who could propose a bill that would make it possible for feral cats to be taken to animal shelters. At the moment, cats fall in a grey area in New York State where they cannot legally be "removed", and most animal shelters or rescue organizations will not accept them because they cannot be adopted. "Feral dogs" are of course removed to pounds where they are either destroyed or put up for adoption, raccoon are destroyed, but cats are both protected and abandoned under current state laws.
Jane F. Ross -------------------------------------------Forwarding for Gerry Rising:The feral cat bill is to come up within hours. Please call Senate majority leader John Flanagan at 518-455-2071 to oppose it. Just say you oppose Senate 1081. It will take a few seconds to do this and opposing this bill is VERY important to birds and other wildlife.Having never made such a call before, I was very hesitant to do so myself, but I found it very simple. A young woman answered and asked for my message. I said that I opposed Senate 1081. She thanked me and promised to pass my message on to the senator. I thanked her and we hung up. That was it.Numbers count in this world. Please help.Gerry [email protected] YouMike & Sylvia [email protected] cell -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ --
