Besides the obvious locations along the immediate long Island Sound shoreline 
of Westchester County where the species is well established, it is interesting 
to note that Osprey are likely nesting on perhaps every tall (120') cell tower 
in Westchester County. Location does not seem to matter, either. For example, 
they nest on probably every cell tower in southern Westchester along the 
Hutchinson River Parkway corridor, in plain sight of the Parkway as well as 
adjacent very developed residential areas. They nest in the middle of downtown 
Mamaroneck in a highly industrialized area, amid autobody shops, commercial 
garages, strip malls, etc. They nest north to at least Byram Lake, Armonk, Town 
of North Castle, and in the town of Mount Pleasant, Briarcliff Manor on private 
property on a cell tower,  in the 'interior' of Westchester. It is likely that 
they nest even farther north in Westchester and Putnam County's interior within 
the "New Croton Watershed" area. There is a nesting pair at the metro north 
rail yard within the boundaries of the Village of Croton-On-Hudson, along the 
Hudson River, too. 


Farther north, I have read about a recent nest on a channel marker in the 
Hudson within the City of Hudson, NY, Columbia County. While I do not have data 
for Dutchess County, I would imagine there are nests here too. Bannerman's 
Island, Beacon, NY, would seem like a logical place and for some reason I think 
they do nest there. I could be wrong about that.  


Regards,

 John Askildsen 
Millbrook, New York

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to