I spent just over five hours at Jones Beach this morning, from sunrise to
almost noon. It was very windy, but the weather was beautiful and bird
activity was very high in areas of cover and during breaks in the breeze.
The Dickcissel continues by the fisherman's road, heard several times just
after first light and seen flying once. The dune ponds are still hosting
Blue-winged Teal, Shoveler, a single Pectoral Sandpiper, both Yellowlegs,
and some peeps alongside geese and mallards. A Peregrine dove spectacularly
on the ponds several times, one of four seen today. All, along with two
Merlins and a Cooper's Hawk, were headed west. There were ten Lesser
Black-backed Gulls of varying age classes on the West End 2 lot, and I
heard several Bobolinks fly over when I was counting them. The median
featured decent activity, and when I crossed the road I found some birding
friends who had just seen a Philadelphia Vireo. I quickly got on the bird,
and it became apparent that there seemed to be two of them moving around
the area between the fisherman's path, the road, and the coast guard lot in
loose association. I had both birds in view on two occasions, but they were
constantly moving and chased each other a few times. A report of a Caspian
Tern on the sandbar sent me over to check, and I found three individuals
resting with the gulls and oystercatchers. Over the course of the morning,
I had Yellowthroat (8), Redstart (6), Prairie (3), Wilson's (2), Pine (2),
Tennessee, Blackpoll, Black-throated Blue (male), Nashville, Magnolia,
Palm, Black-and-white, and Yellow Warblers. I also just missed a Northern
Waterthrush in the early morning. In total, I encountered 61 species, many
of which gave crippling views and showed interesting behavior. Great day to
be out birding, and glad I got to see so many familiar faces out there.

Full checklist:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S25030468

Cheers!
-Tim H

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to