10/24/15 Sabattis Circle Road, & Shaw Pond, Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

 

Late morning, I drove Sabattis Circle Road, and stopped at Shaw Pond on my
way home.  Some of the species found:

 

Wood Duck - Shaw Pond

Amer. Black Duck - inlet of Round Lake

Ring-necked Duck - over 60 on Shaw Pond

Hooded Merganser - inlet of Round Lake

Wild Turkey

Pied-billed Grebe - Shaw Pond

*Northern Shrike - inlet of Little Tupper Lake (first of the season)

Gray Jay - 4 at Sabattis Bog; the birds are now divided into a solo jay and
a group of 3.  The group of 3 Gray Jays are very aggressive toward the solo
bird.

Blue Jay - still many around

Common Raven

Amer. Robin - still many around

*American Tree Sparrow

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Purple Finch

Pine Siskin - large flock of ~ 40 to 50 birds at Sabattis Bog

Amer. Goldfinch

 

10/19/15 Malone (Franklin Co.)

 

I traveled to Rotary Lake in the Malone Memorial Recreation Park this past
Monday.  Thousands of Snow Geese feed in the area fields during the day and
after sunset, they descend on Rotary Lake for the night.  It is a remarkable
annual spectacle that can be observed during Oct. and Nov. with numbers
peaking by late October - early November (with prior year estimates of 4,000
Snow Geese completely covering the lake).  I arrived in mid-afternoon to
check the lake, and was surprised to find over 1,000 Snow Geese, and even
more Canada Geese covering the lake!  I photographed them for over an hour,
and then they all headed east (likely to the nearby Salmon River).  A couple
hours later, just after sunset, wave after wave of geese flocks descended
onto the lake for over 45 minutes.  It is a visual and auditory experience
that is hard to put into words.  I posted a few photos to my Facebook page
and there are more photos in my blog published on the Malone site:
http://www.visitmalone.com/blog/2015/10/snow-geese-spectacle .  (Photos
include dark morph and intermediate birds also.)  On the drive up, I
observed Bufflehead, and Hooded and Common Mergansers along the causeway at
Tupper Lake.  I also observed 4 different Common Loons on lakes along the
drive.

 

10/18/15 Long Lake

 

We had an Eastern Phoebe in our backyard.  Kathy Schneider reported a late
Ruby-throated Hummingbird at her camp in Newcomb.  She took her feeder down,
and an hour later, spotted the hummingbird where the feeder had been!

 

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell       

(518) 624-5528 home

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/   

http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to