While at the tail end of my travels today on the south shore of Nassau
County, I was at Tobay Beach (JFK Bird Sactuary) when I came across 4
Leeser Black-backed Gulls  resting in the Parking lot. - Not sure if these
have any relation to the recent unprecidented influx of Franklin's Gulls in
our area, or if these are lingering birds which I had at this location on
Oct. 3. Perhaps these came from points to the north, migrating slowly under
mild conditions with prolonged SW winds?  - One of the birds was a full
adult, 2 1st year birds, and one in between. Only 23 other Gulls were with
the LBBG's: 15 Herring, 5 GBBG, and 3 RB Gulls. The only Laughing Gulls I
had today were in the Field 6 Lot at Jones Beach, whereas hundreds, and
beyond have been in Hempstead Harbor in recent days, apparently feeding on
baitfish getting pushed up to the surface by larger fish - also probably
slow to migrate I would think. Interesting stuff all around......

Bobby Berlingeri
Elmont, NY

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to