This afternoon, while searching through brant flocks along the barrier beaches, I came across an interested brant in the soccer field to the west of the entrance to the Pt. Lookout parking lot.
Several points rendered the brant distinctive from nearby Atlantic Brant, yet the bird differed from my expectations for Black Brant. The brant's breast was very dark (yet not black), matching the color of the mantle. The dark coloration persisted down the breast to the legs. The brant's white flank patch was more noticeable than adjacent Atlantic Brant, but not quite as bright as in Black Brant I've seen. I believe this brant fits the basic criteria for a probable Gray-bellied Brant. This specific individual is an after hatch-year bird, as it lacks the juvenal upper wing patterning, and has a very faint necklace.
Several points rendered the brant distinctive from nearby Atlantic Brant, yet the bird differed from my expectations for Black Brant. The brant's breast was very dark (yet not black), matching the color of the mantle. The dark coloration persisted down the breast to the legs. The brant's white flank patch was more noticeable than adjacent Atlantic Brant, but not quite as bright as in Black Brant I've seen. I believe this brant fits the basic criteria for a probable Gray-bellied Brant. This specific individual is an after hatch-year bird, as it lacks the juvenal upper wing patterning, and has a very faint necklace.
The entire flock was flushed moments after I first saw this bird but I managed to get a few photos that I'll post at: https://picasaweb.google.com/117391989476777248424/NewYorkBirds2015
The flock flew off, out of sight towards to the bay to the north and was unable to be relocated.
Good birding,
Michael McBrien
East Patchogue, NY & Bristol, RI
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
Archives:
Please submit your observations to eBird!
--
