12/31/15 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

 

We received about 4 or 5 inches of snow from winter storm Goliath on
Tuesday.  It brought in an influx of Snow Buntings, Amer. Tree Sparrows, and
Dark-eyed Juncos.  We continue to have large numbers of Pine Siskins and
Amer. Goldfinches at our feeders along with occasional Purple Finches.
Large lakes are still wide open - certainly a new record.  Some other
sightings:

 

Northern Shrike - First winter (brown) bird that attempted to catch a Snow
Bunting at the Little Tupper Lake inlet (photo on Facebook) - it missed!

Gray Jay - 6 at Sabattis Bog

Snow Bunting - 13 (6 along Route 30, and groups of 1 and 6 along Sabattis
Circle Road)

Amer. Tree Sparrow - several small flocks along Sabattis Circle Road

Dark-eyed Junco - 3 (1 at our home and 2 along Sabattis Circle Road)

Pine Siskin

 

A Mink ran from Little Tupper Lake into the marsh near the inlet - beautiful
creature!

 

12/30/15 Long Lake

 

I haven't slept much in the past week from a bad cough/cold and I had just
fallen deeply asleep when I flew up in bed from the piercing scream of a
Barred Owl at 5:15 a.m.!  The baby monitor was on low and the owl must have
been just a few feet from the receiver.  I first heard this terrifying
vocalization nearly a year ago (in Jan.) at just about the same time of day.
Sean O'Brien and I spent over an hour on the phone discussing this
vocalization again!  It is one of his life goals to record that sound.  They
give it so rarely, that you would need to have a recording device set up
non-stop to capture it.  Sean commented that my hearing this vocalization
twice in one year is a lot.  I was thinking you could sell that sound to
Hollywood for horror movies!  My husband was taking a walk in the dark (my
coughing woke him), far from home on the road we live on, and he heard it
too.

 

It is a bad sign to have Barred Owls hunting feeder areas for small mammals
so early in the season.  We've had no mice coming in our house.  These
winters with low numbers of small mammals and starving Barred Owls seem to
be the norm now.  It is worrisome.

 

Other sightings:

 

Black-backed Woodpecker - Sabattis Bog

Pileated Woodpecker - Sabattis Bog

Gray Jay - 6 at Sabattis Bog

Snow Bunting - 7 at the inlet of Little Tupper Lake

Dark-eyed Junco - 2

Pine Siskin

 

12/29/15 Long Lake

 

I watched a River Otter fishing in Little Tupper Lake.

 

12/26/15 Long Lake

 

A male Ruffed Grouse was in full display in Sabattis Circle Road with two
other Ruffed Grouse feeding nearby.  It did feel a bit like March-April!
(Photo on Facebook)

 

12/23/15 Long Lake, Newcomb, and Minerva (Essex Co.)

 

I was heading to Glens Falls for a shopping trip and told myself that I
wouldn't do any birding, but you know how that goes.  A few sightings:

 

Gray Jay - 7 (4 at Sabattis Bog and 3 at the marsh near the Newcomb-Minerva
town line on Route 28N)

Boreal Chickadee - at least 5; same marsh as above and along Route 28N just
east of the Linsay Marsh Trailhead

Red Crossbill - 10 (2 at the Little Tupper Lake inlet, 4 at the marsh above,
and 4 east of the Linsay Marsh Trailhead

 

I watched a River Otter fishing in Little Tupper Lake.  After it ate several
fish, it climbed up on the bank, preened, and appeared to fall asleep!
(Photo on Facebook)

 

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell       

(518) 624-5528 home

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/  

http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian

 

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to