Woke up with the idea that I would take a break from birding today....real 
busy!  Anyway, first thingI see on our BroomeRBA is a MARBLED GODWIT found by 
the birding guru Tim Lenz at Upper Lisle County Park in Whitney Point on a 
gravel bar upper end of the reservoir. So I forgo my coffee and breakfast  (and 
plans!!)and literally fly up to the  end of Kiebal Road Whitney Point for the 
best vantage point and meet up with George Chiu, Victor Lamoreux and Glenn 
Wilson. Everyone got on the bird, but then it flew!! So I eventually left as I 
had other things to do. 
Then I came back in the afternoon to see if I could re-find it. First thing 
that hits me is that in Upper Lisle County Parkover the reservoir there were 
all these white specks flying around, terns!!! It was like being at the ocean!! 
All three species of white tern that we get were present. CASPIAN, FORSTER'S 
and COMMON. I got great looks at theseguys as they flew around the marsh at the 
upper end of the reservoir past the gate. I saw many moreterns out flying 
around the gravel bar where the godwit was earlier. But the birds on the gravel 
bar were too shimmeryand distant to ID.  So I hiked down the edge of the 
reservoir from the north to a nice spot where I got great looks at theterns, 
gulls and what I thought was the MARBLED GODWIT on the gravel bar but the bird 
was smaller and when it flashed its wings, I sawblack and white. The bill was 
straight and dark, a western subspecie of the WILLET!!! This was an amazing day 
for "WESTERN"WILLETS in upstate NY, they were seen at Myer's Point Lansing, NY 
and Montezuma NWR and now our Dorchester Park/Upper Lisle. Also present in 
large numbers were swallows, TREE, BANK, BARN and CLIFF flying around the lake 
too. 
All in all, I totaled 72 species today with 2 very rare species for Broome Co.  
Dave Nicosia
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to