Sunday, the 1st of May, 2016
Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

With a 2nd *potential* state-rare bird in Central Park in less than 3  
full days, the search is on, for the apparent Hermit Warbler found  
earlier today near the park entrance at West 77 St. and the small  
stream that is just to the NE of that park entrance area.  Various  
contingents came & went thru all of the day after the initial  
sightings at the above location. We did see some warbler activity,  
giving ongoing hopes to the efforts, but as far as heard, no one was  
coming up with even a hint of a possible Hermit Warbler in the  
afternoon.  I was in the vicinity from 5 thru nearly sunset. While  
some dutifully tried mostly near the site of original sighting, I also  
wandered as far as the n. tip of Strawberry Fields, the Ladies  
Pavillion / Hernshead, the Shakespeare garden, Tanner's spring, & even  
up by the Castle and the NW Ramble area, especially the "upper  
lobe" (of the lake).  But in none of these areas did I see or hear  
much of any migrant activity, and certainly no BT Greenish song or  
sight.  So it's back to the original area in the a.m. unless there's  
an absolute deluge.

A reasonably good May-day for overall migration, but a lot may have  
moved on ahead of the wet weather, last night. There was still at  
least 1 Hooded Warbler, a singing male, at the Loch (Ravine) at almost  
mid-day, but I failed to find many other uncommon spp. of migrants in  
the n. end & while the lucky ones were gazing upon the presumptive  
Hermit Warbler, I was enjoying the azalea show (which is gorgeous,  
but) at the Pond & Hallett Sanctuary, which was rather quiet for birds  
when I made my rounds of it.

On the CP reservoir in addition to the lingering Horned Grebe were a  
couple of Spotted Sandpipers (seen in a.m.), at least 2 lingering  
Ruddy Ducks, and a modest no. of swallows which included Bank, but  
were mainly Barn & No. R.-winged, as well as 2 Laughing Gulls amongst  
the usual 3 gull spp. that are seen about all year.

A most unexpected sight were the 2 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons that  
overflew the reservoir rather early, and circled a little, but then  
kept on flapping north at moderate elevation. In watching, I almost  
thought one was trying to convince the other that the "fishing is  
good" at the reservoir, which it clearly is to support 25+ D.-cr.  
Cormorants at times each day. And to have seen (& photo'd) the H.  
Grebe there getting its fill of small fish...

what's the next warbler-rarity for Central?  I have a request in for a  
Golden-cheeked, but it's really more like a "tongue-in-cheeked".

good birding & thanks for all the great sightings from earlier, esp.  
the rare warbler report and info - brightened up a chilly damp day.

Tom Fiore
Manhattan



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to