On Sunday, I headed out east with the intentions of getting in a shorebird
survey at Cupsogue. Since I got there around high tide, I spent some time
doing a sea-watch which was non productive.
I then birded the Cupsogue flats on a falling tide. The number of birds were
paltry but I managed 12 species of shorebirds which is not too shabby for this
time of the year. The shorebird highlights were 1 White-rumped Sandpiper (with
a bum left eye), 1 non breeding plumaged Red Knot, 5 Piping Plovers, one of
which was banded with the Virginia Tech schema and one "ratty" looking Western
Willet, previously reported by Michael McBrien.
The Tern numbers were not great with 127 as my high count of Common Terns. 3 of
which were 1 st Summer types, warranting carefully study as distance and the
uneven terrain often gave that "short-legged" look that is associated with the
rarer Arctic Terns. 4 Forster's Terns and 3 Least Terns, rounded out the
expected Sternas.
1 Royal and 2 Roseate Terns were late arrivals; the latter, listed as
endangered both federally and locally, is always a pleasing sight and these two
were pristine looking adults.
I opted not to bird the second tide cycle leaving that to Pat and Shai. An
evening seawatch was also abandoned after getting Intel from Tom Burke and Gail
Benson who reported all was quiet at Shinnecock Inlet.
A quick stop at Epcal with Tom and Gail, did not amount to much in terms of
Blue Grosbeaks or Summer Tanagers. I chalked that up to a case of "GI" (on my
part) or bad time of the day where birds were singing less. I did however,
enjoy the many Grasshopper Sparrows. If that place was managed properly, I
wonder if Henslow's could return?
Cheers,
--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu The Art of War
> (__/)
> (= '.'=)
> (") _ (")
> Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device!
Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--