I spent some time on the Pond today as well, passing Andrew on the western shore as I worked my way north. I only have a few notes to add. The Acadian Flycatcher is still on site, audible even across the East Pond! I also heard a few Marsh Wrens and saw fledglings of many local breeders. A young Peregrine was terrorizing waders at the south end, startling up a Great Egret and pursuing a Glossy Ibis for some distance. The herons were out in force today, including a few Little Blues. It was VERY hot, but the shoreline is in good condition and I was able to travel the entirety of the east side from the south entrance all the way to the "escape route" at the north end just before one reaches the treacherous muck.
Here's hoping for a great shorebirding season! Cheers! Tim H > On Jul 6, 2016, at 12:33 PM, Andrew Baksh <[email protected]> wrote: > > I spent 5 hours on the East Pond at Jamaica Bay this morning noting a small > uptick in Shorebirds. Noticeably, the increase were of 3 species. > Short-billed Dowitchers were nearing the hundred mark and an increase in both > Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs was evident. 4 Black-belied Plovers popped in > and out in a matter of minutes. Their presence, brief as it was, brought my > shorebird species count to 10. Eleven, if I counted separately the one SBDO > (Short-billed Dowitcher) Hendersoni subspecies candidate. > > A male Wood Duck was seen in flight a few times and it almost seemed as > though he was looking for his mate given the calls and flights. > > Saving the best for last, I found another ringed Double Crested Cormorant and > I was able to read the code. The one I found yesterday was there again today > and I was able to verify the code that I had documented. > > In another first for me on the pond. I documented a ringed Glossy Ibis and > also was lucky enough to read the code. This one required all of my Shinobi > skills to get within range for a read but I managed it. Master Jiraiya, would > have been proud of me :-) > > It's heating up out there folks. Stay cool, drink lots of water and please do > check in on your elderly kin. > > Cheers, > > -------- > "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule > of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ > Frederick Douglass > > 風 Swift as the wind > 林 Quiet as the forest > 火 Conquer like the fire > 山 Steady as the mountain > Sun Tzu The Art of War > >> (__/) >> (= '.'=) >> (") _ (") >> Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device! > > Andrew Baksh > www.birdingdude.blogspot.com > -- > NYSbirds-L List Info: > Welcome and Basics > Rules and Information > Subscribe, Configuration and Leave > Archives: > The Mail Archive > Surfbirds > BirdingOnThe.Net > Please submit your observations to eBird! > -- -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ --
