I also spent some time yesterday and today checking the Long Island barrier 
beaches for Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

Of 15 individuals I managed to study and photograph, the age distribution was 3 
juveniles, 5 second calendar-year, 5 third calendar-year, and 2 older immatures 
that were difficult to assign (either third or fourth calendar-year); I haven't 
seen any full adults personally since 5 September. 

The juveniles are very beautiful, and the next couple of weeks offer our best 
opportunity to see them. Very few remain this far north during the winter, and 
when they return in numbers to over-summer here, their SY plumages are, to put 
it charitably, less attractive. The various immature plumages I've been seeing 
lately are illustrated here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96951581@N02/29944469171/in/photostream/

A new cohort of juvenile Herring Gulls has also come in; these look quite 
different from our local juvs, with fresh and very contrasty plumage and 
all-black bills.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore
________________________________________
From: [email protected] 
[[email protected]] on behalf of David Klauber 
[[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 2:07 PM
To: NY Birds
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Lesser Black-backed Gulls barrier beaches Long Island 
Nassau & Sufflok counties

This morning Bobby Rosetti and I checked various parking lots from Jones Beach 
West End to Robert Moses. We saw at least 25-30 different Lesser Black-backed 
Gulls in all plumages from juvenile through adult. Specifically they were in 
the west End 2 lot, Robt Moses field 2 and 5, Captree upper lot, and Tobay. In 
addition Bobby saw between 8-10 at Point Lookout. A nice study in Lesser BB 
Gull plumages
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to