The winter of 2016-2017 continues to be fairly quiet in northern NY with
poor cone crops and low numbers of small mammal prey.  We do have Birch
seeds for redpolls and fruit for Bohemian Waxwings and Pine Grosbeaks.  Our
last major redpoll irruption was 2 years ago, and they are expected to
irrupt this winter, but there was another irruption just to our north last
winter, so time will tell what will happen this winter.  (Their typical
every-other-winter irruptive schedule does shift every decade or so.)
Bohemian Waxwings, as predicted by Ron Pittaway, appear to be mostly staying
in western CA/US this year.  But we do have some flocks in northern NY.
Pine Grosbeaks are also around in small numbers so far.  We continue to have
Amer. Goldfinches at our Long Lake feeders - unusual in January in the
central Adirondacks.  There is one(!) Pine Siskin that I've been observing
at a feeder in Newcomb all season (with a flock of Amer. Goldfinches).  The
small numbers of Pine Siskins we had at our Long Lake feeders in late fall
have left.  The large numbers of Evening Grosbeaks that visited Newcomb
feeders last winter left by December this year (many observed in Nov.).  I
received a Long Lake report of ~20 "crossbills" gritting in Kickerville Road
last week, but I have not observed them.  Numbers of Black-capped
Chickadees, Brown Creepers, Red-breasted Nuthatches, and Golden-crowned
Kinglets are way down.  Our Saranac Lake CBC party tallied our lowest number
of Black-capped Chickadees in nearly 2 decades on 1/1/17.  It will be yet
another difficult winter for Barred Owls, and many will likely starve (or be
hit by cars by hunting along roadways).  The winters with low numbers of
small mammal prey used to be infrequent, but that seems to be changing, and
lately, it seems to be the norm.

 

At our feeders: 21 Wild Turkeys (cracked corn on the ground), Downy & Hairy
Woodpeckers, Blue Jays (unusual), Black-capped Chickadees, Red &
White-breasted Nuthatches, 1 Dark-eyed Junco, and a small flock of Amer.
Goldfinches (unusual).

 

OK, I need to report this, but I didn't want to put it in the subject of the
email since it is a 7-week-old report!  Due to a "comedy of errors" that I
won't go into, I received a report on Friday (1/6/17) of a Great Gray Owl
observed and photographed in Tupper Lake (Franklin Co.) in mid-Nov.!  I will
submit this record with the photo to eBird as soon as I get the name of the
observer/photographer and the exact date in Nov.  With low numbers of small
prey, it is doubtful that this owl is still around, but a number of people
are on the lookout just in case!  It is interesting that the last Great Gray
Owl in the Adirondacks was also found in Tupper Lake (on 3/30/13 - spotted
by a NJ woman I was with that day) and also the last time Pine Grosbeaks
irrupted!  Someone asked me if it could be the same bird - a good question
with no answer!

 

Other recent sightings:

 

1/8/17 Long Lake

 

Bald Eagle - a sub-adult bird that flew in to a perch about 20 feet from me
at Sabattis Bog as I fed Gray Jays and other birds!  I suspect this eagle
saw lots of birds and was checking to see if there was roadkill.  It looked
as startled as I was and flew off quickly!

Gray Jay - 13 (I feed as many as 15 lately at 4 locations in Long Lake) - 2
along Rt. 30, 3 near the Little Tupper Lake inlet area, 3 at the Round Lake
Trailhead, and 5 at Sabattis Bog

 

A kind person(s) left mixed seed at the Sabattis Bog feeding area and it was
a very active place when I arrived today!  I leave a suet feeder at this
spot and have to bring a new suet cake every couple of days.  Hairy
Woodpeckers, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Black-capped Chickadees and Gray Jays
feed on the suet.  I've been putting out a suet feeder for a few years at
this location and this is the first year I've observed the Gray Jays feed at
it.  The chickadees fill the tree when I arrive and seem desperate for seed.
It is a tough winter on wildlife.

 

1/7/17 St. Lawrence Co. loop (& Tupper Lake in Franklin Co.)

 

David Buckley and I drove a loop through St. Lawrence Co. yesterday (Potsdam
- Canton - Heuvelton - Ogdensburg - Lisbon - Madrid - Waddington - Massena -
Winthrop).  The St. Lawrence River was still mostly open water with a huge
cloud bank directly over the river in bitter cold temps.  Here are a few of
the species found:

 

Gadwall - 2 at Hawkins Point

Common Goldeneye

Common Merganser

Red-breasted Merganser

Bald Eagle - 5 (1 along the Oswegatchie River, 2 along the St. Lawrence
River in Waddington, and 2 perched together at the St. Lawrence River in
Massena)

Red-tailed Hawk - only 2

Rough-legged Hawk - 1 light morph in Lisbon

Herring Gull

Great Black-backed Gull

Peregrine Falcon - perched on the Barnhart Island Bridge

Northern Shrike - 1 observed actively hunting at sunset in Tupper Lake
across from OWD.  It plunged into the snow multiple times but was
unsuccessful in capturing prey.

Common Raven

American Robin - 3 at corner of Barnhart Island and Robinson Bay Roads.
(Down from the thousands we encountered on our last trip on 12/16/16!)

Amer. Tree Sparrow - one large flock

Dark-eyed Junco

Northern Cardinal - 2

 

1/3/17 Long Lake

 

A Black-backed Woodpecker flew in as I fed birds at Sabattis Bog.  It was
calling and rattling, but I had to ignore it since the chickadees were
desperate for the food I was getting out - and by the time I finished, the
woodpecker had flown away!

 

1/2/17 Newcomb, Minerva (Essex Co.), Long Lake (Hamilton Co.), and Tupper
Lake (Franklin Co.)

 

On a tour with 2 people from Texas, we spent the day in boreal habitat areas
- mostly in Newcomb, Minerva, and Long Lake.  Here are some of the species
found:

 

Black-backed Woodpecker - 3 (1 in Newcomb, and a pair in Minerva)

Pileated Woodpecker

Gray Jay - 17 (2 in Minerva and 15 in Long Lake at 4 different locations)

Common Raven

Boreal Chickadee - 8 (3 in Minerva and 2 different flocks of 3 and 2 in
Newcomb) - I posted a photo on Facebook taken along Tahawus Road

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Pine Siskin - 1 at a Newcomb feeder!

 

A couple driving by stopped as we were observing Boreal Chickadees along
Tahawus Road to tell us they had just observed a Great Blue Heron at the
Hudson River - rare in the High Peaks area in January!

 

12/31/16 Newcomb, Minerva, and Long Lake

 

On a tour with 2 people from NJ, we spent the day in boreal habitat areas of
Newcomb, Minerva, and Long Lake.  Our goal was finding Black-backed
Woodpecker and Gray Jay.  Here are some of the species found:

 

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2 in Minerva

Pileated Woodpecker

Gray Jay - 13 (2 in Minerva and 11 in Long Lake)

Common Raven

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Pine Grosbeak - 2!  A male and female Pine Grosbeak flew into the trees when
we were feeding Gray Jays in Minerva.  I snapped a few bad photos (that were
back-lit) before the Gray Jays chased them off by making accipiter calls!

 

12/27/16 Long Lake

 

I found a dead Snowshoe Hare in the road in the afternoon along Route 30
where I feed Gray Jays.  I took it out of the road and left it in the snow.
The next morning, there was nothing left but fur/blood and no mammal tracks
to the hare's body, so I assume ravens or eagles consumed it.

 

12/24/16 Long Lake & Saranac Lake (Essex Co.)

 

I went out in the dark to fill feeders and experienced the rare (&
terrifying) Barred Owl long scream call!  (The one that Sean O'Brien has
been trying to get a recording of for years.)  The last time I heard the
scream call was 2 years ago when a Barred Owl hunted outside our house
(under the feeders) for a couple months (before it starved to death and fell
from a tree in our front lawn).  We keep a baby monitor going to bring in
the outdoor sounds and the only time I've heard the scream call is when, it
appears, that I am interrupting a Barred Owl's hunting by making noise
filling feeders in the dark.  If Sean could get a good recording of that
sound, it would make a fantastic sound effect for a scary movie!  By the
way, my husband was off taking a walk - we have a long mountain driveway and
he was down the driveway and down the road - and he heard the owl's scream!
If the purpose of the vocalization is to frighten off potential competitors
for prey (like me), it works!

 

Bohemian Waxwing - 6 mixed with 11 Cedar Waxwings in the fruit trees in
front of Pizza Hut in Saranac Lake

 

12/23/16 Newcomb & Long Lake

 

Gray Jay - 10 (2 Minerva and 8 in Long Lake)

Boreal Chickadee - 2 in Minerva

 

12/22/16 Long Lake

 

I spotted an Ermine hunting outside our home and photographed it through the
window.  The Ermine was rocketing up trees after Red Squirrels, but did not
capture any during the time I observed it.  The Ermine could climb a huge
tree in what felt like a split second.  When it was on the ground (in snow),
it was nearly impossible to follow it since it blended in so well.  (Photos
on my Facebook page)  It also ran around our porch and up on our windowsill!

 

12/21/16 Long Lake

 

Gray Jay - 8

Boreal Chickadee - 2 along Route 30

 

12/19/16 Newcomb, Minerva, and Long Lake

 

Barred Owl - hunting outside our house at 4:15 p.m. - not a good sign

Gray Jay - 10 (4 locations in Long Lake)

Boreal Chickadee - 6 (flocks of 4 & 2 in Minerva along Route 28N)

Pine Siskin - 1 at a Newcomb feeder

 

12/16/16 St. Lawrence Co. loop

 

David Buckley and I drove a loop through St. Lawrence Co. Here are some of
the species found:

 

Common Goldeneye

Common Merganser

Wild Turkey

Common Loon

Red-tailed Hawk - 4

Rough-legged Hawk - 1 light morph in Potsdam (Route 11 & Regan Road
intersection area)

Great Black-backed Gull

Pileated Woodpecker

Northern Shrike - 1 in Winthrop along Route 420 (at the marsh that used to
be the later summer Great Egret roost)

Horned Lark - 1 large flock

Amer. Robin - thousands!  Every stop we made had huge numbers of robins.

Cedar Waxwing

Snow Bunting - 4 large flocks

 

12/10/16 Newcomb, Minerva, & Long Lake

 

Canada Goose - huge movement (south) that week

Wild Turkey - 25

Bald Eagle - 2 on a deer carcass at Shaw Pond in Long Lake

Black-backed Woodpecker - 3 (pair in Minerva and 1 that flew over Sabattis
Bog)

Common Raven - many on the deer carcass at Shaw Pond

Gray Jay - 8 (3 in Minerva - they tried to fly in my car through the open
window! and 5 in Long Lake)

Brown Creeper

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Pine Siskin - Newcomb feeder

 

I've posted a number of photos to my Facebook page below (including mammals
- Ermine, Beaver, and Muskrats!).

 

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell       

(518) 624-5528 home

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/  

http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to