Three birders scoured the area this morning for several hours and came up with nothing. It may be worth returning in the afternoon. The sighting is unconfirmed, though, and barred owls are pretty common along that stretch. There is some decent habitat, especially on the beginning stretch of county route 54 just a bit north of the Llama Farm.
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 10:11 AM Richard Guthrie <[email protected]> wrote: > Forwarding from an eBird report: > > Great Gray Owl (American) (Strix nebulosa nebulosa) (1) > - Reported Mar 06, 2017 07:25 by Susan DeWolfe Burns > - River Road, Schagticoke, Washington, New York > - Map: > http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.9772743,-73.6125398&ll=42.9772743,-73.6125398 > - Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35001538 > - Comments: "It was perched in a tree near a small farm on River Road in > Schaghticoke/Easton, near the border of Rensselaer and Washington Counties, > not far from Stillwater NY. If you know the area, it was near the farm > that has llamas, across from which is a small seasonal store/farmstand. I > am quite sure this was a gray owl. I'm not an ornithologist, but I have > spent decades watching and studying birds. I did a double-take while > driving and when I got to work, looked carefully at owl pictures on line to > make sure that's what I saw. It's not the first time I've seen gray owls > in upstate NY, but it is admittedly a very rare and unusual sighting." > > -- > Richard Guthrie > > -- > *NYSbirds-L List Info:* > Welcome and Basics <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm> > Rules and Information <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm> > Subscribe, Configuration and Leave > <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm> > *Archives:* > The Mail Archive > <http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html> > Surfbirds <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L> > ABA <http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01> > *Please submit your observations to **eBird* > <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>*!* > -- > -- Zach Schwartz-Weinstein 203 500 7774 -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01 Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ --
