I agree with Andrew Block that the Corncrake is (was)a juvenile (first-cycle, 
first-fall) bird. Most field guides only show the adult plumage, but there's a 
very nice illustration of the "1st-winter" plumage in "Rare Birds of North 
America" by Howell, Lewington, and Russell. 

Deb Allen

-----Original Message-----

From: Andrew Block 

Sent: Nov 8, 2017 12:04 PM

To: NYSBIRDS-L-for Posts Posts 

Subject: [nysbirds-l] age of Corn Crake



Does anyone agree with me when I say this bird looks to be a juvenile?  It 
doesn't seem to have the gray typical of adults on the breast, throat, and 
face.  I'm also glad it's not being as secretive as they are supposed to be.  
What a great bird.
Andrew Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4629
Phone: 914-963-3080; Cell: 914-319-9701 
www.flickr.com/photos/conuropsis/albums

                        --
                
                        

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to