As to warblers around, a very reliable report this morning from 2 excellent 
birders was of a Northern Parula at Mariandale Conference Center on Hudson 
River in Ossining  -- along with an estimated 200 Canvasback and other waterfowl

L Trachtenberg
Ossining


From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steve Walter
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2017 3:21 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Queens - Crocheron and Alley Ponds

I did a quick run to check on things at two spots here in northeastern Queens.  
At Crocheron Park, only the Western Tanager of yesterday's terrific trio had 
been seen as of 2:00. At the restored Alley Pond (at the LIE - Cross Island 
Pkwy intersection), I did not see the Lesser Yellowlegs that has been lingering 
at least through Dec. 4, but a lot of the shoreline is not visible. However, I 
did have a surprising and bizarre few moments while there. I spished to try and 
see what passerine I was hearing up in a tree along the shore. The next thing I 
knew, I was counting warblers. At least 10 of them, all Pine Warblers that I 
could see at that point. I don't know that I've seen that many Pines together 
ever, even in breeding areas of the pine barrens or Florida pine woods, where 
they winter. There are a bunch of pine trees at this location, to which they 
quickly flew off. Getting an accurate count at that point was not doable, but I 
did add an Orange-crowned Warbler while trying to see exactly where the Pine 
Warblers had relocated to. It could be an interesting count season - although 
here comes the snow tomorrow and a 25 degree high on Wednesday.


Steve Walter
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
Welcome and Basics<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm>
Rules and Information<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm>
Subscribe, Configuration and 
Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Archives:
The Mail 
Archive<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html>
Surfbirds<http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
ABA<http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01>
Please submit your observations to eBird<http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!
--

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to