I spent most of the afternoon on the East Pond doing some trail maintenance. My
focus was on tweaking some areas already worked on and the area known as
“Calidrid Crossing.” This section is usually overgrown with Poison Ivy and it
was again - requiring careful cut back. It is now cleared and open for
business. For those of you not familiar with the nomenclature for various areas
of the East Pond, here is a map edited post Hurricane Sandy.
https://birdingdude.blogspot.com/2016/06/jamaica-bay-wildlife-refuge-east-pond.html?m=1
The pond water level is right on target and I schelped up to the north end with
no issues. However, please note, there are the usual soft spots and you must
take note of the Muskrat Channels as they are deeper and softer in those
locations. Remember, knee high boots and caution always!
As far as birds. 7 species of shorebirds - all the expected species. 2
Bonaparte Gulls continue (observed on June 20th) and I had one drake
Green-winged Teal among the duckage.
22 American Oystercatchers seemed a bit high with 2 of them banded. 1 banded
Glossy Ibis, which I believe I also saw on the 20th of June.
Lastly, I have asked NPS to setup the boot washing station so that should be
online soon. When you visit the refuge. Please take a moment to thank the
staff. I have not been this pleased with the efforts at the refuge in a very
long time.
Cheers,
--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu The Art of War
> (\__/)
> (= '.'=)
> (") _ (")
> Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device!
Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--